Parents Presidential Classic questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
Our optionals are going to this meet this year. It looks like it is a Friday - Monday meet. I'm trying to price out hotels and flights for our coaches... I figure I'd have them come in on Thursday; but would rather not pay all of the way through Tuesday if possible. Does anyone know if they actually have teams competing into Monday evening? Or is it like only Monday morning?

I tried looking for a schedule from last year's meet but couldn't. But looking at the posted results, the last set of posted results were from the Monday with a print time of around 3:50 in the afternoon and it seems the gymnasts participating on the Monday were the Excel groups. Very unscientific. I would call the competition folks and explain to them your situation and see what they can tell you at this point. Good luck.

When DD's team competed this meet a few years ago, there was one group (think it was the level 8's?) that competed on that Monday. Those parents went to FL on Sunday and came back Tues AM. At least they have this meet on a holiday weekend! And if this helps, they usually get their schedule out at least a month before (if you wanted to wait on buying airfare). Most hotels are flexible too about adjusting the reservations. As someone else said, it really depends on the numbers.

When DD's team competed this meet a few years ago, there was one group (think it was the level 8's?) that competed on that Monday. Those parents went to FL on Sunday and came back Tues AM. At least they have this meet on a holiday weekend! And if this helps, they usually get their schedule out at least a month before (if you wanted to wait on buying airfare). Most hotels are flexible too about adjusting the reservations. As someone else said, it really depends on the numbers.
Waiting a month out to book to Orlando that time of year may come with a severe case of sticker shock!

Flight prices are good now, hence mr trying to go ahead and book; I might just have to suck it up and have the coaches there Th-Tu...

If they don't compete until Monday, won't they be expected to be at practice on Thursday, Friday and possibly even Saturday? I can't imagine coaches being okay with Optional girls training on Wednesday and then not coming back into the gym until they compete on Sunday or Monday. Wouldn't fly in our gym.

I would wait to book flights until the schedule comes out, personally.

Also remember though you might get the flights cheaper booking them this much in advance for the whole meet time, you are going to have to pay for 5 days and nights of hotel and meals for the coaches. Wait to book the flights so you can just send them for the time they need to be there, you may find it could even cost less in total.

And As AmandaLyn said, the coaches have practices to run and generally need to minimize their time away from the gym to as little as possible.

Ugh. You are right about the flight vs extra nights in the hotel and the rental car. The coaches being gone wouldn't be as much of an issue since we only have two coaches going, so 1 optionals coach would stillebe home, plus 1 coach who is optionals/compulsory. I just worry that if I wait until January to book flights that they will ve significantly higher since it is a holiday weekend. We have 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and possibly Xcel platinums going (don't know if we will have platinums, just guess it is a chance), so I imagine that we could be spread over the 4 days.

Have always tried to use Southwest when possible because of the no change fees. Make the best guess about when coaches need to be there and book well in advance at the cheapest fare. If you have to change after schedule comes out, may have to pay the higher fare but aren't out anything more than if you just waited to book until schedule is out. And if you guess right and get to stay with the low fare, it kind of feels like you won something!

[QU. OTE="wandrewsjr, post: 474265, member: 5258"]Have always tried to use Southwest when possible because of the no change fees. Make the best guess about when coaches need to be there and book well in advance at the cheapest fare. If you have to change after schedule comes out, may have to pay the higher fare but aren't out anything more than if you just waited to book until schedule is out. And if you guess right and get to stay with the low fare, it kind of feels like you won something![/QUOTE]

OK, I was leaning towards southwest; but wasn't sure if they still do the no change fee. I figure if I go with them if get it right one one end of the trip at least.

We have Allegiant that flies direct from our airport to an airport 45 min from Orlando so fares remain reasonable even a month out. Most of us just carpooled in rental cars and drove into Orlando. Some families chose to drive the 10 hours there.
Waiting a month out to book to Orlando that time of year may come with a severe case of sticker shock!

We have Allegiant that flies direct from our airport to an airport 45 min from Orlando so fares remain reasonable even a month out. Most of us just carpooled in rental cars and drove into Orlando. Some families chose to drive the 10 hours there.
That's a pretty resourceful way to do it. I didn't even know of the Sanford Airport!

We waited until the schedule came out last year to book flights and we were still able to get a good deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back