Parents Press handstand and age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LL (7 yr) says she can do them on the bars but the floor - on and off. There are some tiny (height/weight) peers who do them on floor regularly.

Both of my dd got their press handstands when they were 7. That is where the similarities end. One is petite and strong and the other has a medium build and is flexible. Dd who is flexible, definitely has a prettier press handstand. They can both press handstand on floor and beam, but they definitely prefer floor. The elevation factor is still kind of scary to them.

I am proud to be able to still sit in a straddle ;)
If by straddle, you mean collapsed on the floor with my legs apart, well then I'm in!:D

Seriously though, the above walkthrough on a straddle press to handstand just further illustrates the point on just how amazing our children really are- they do something at 5-6-7, that most of us can never dream of doing.

my DS (l5) got his press when he was almost 8 after at least 1 year of gym, but the boys worked on them much more often than the girls at our old gym. My DD (L7) started gym at age 8 and did not really work them until she was about 10. She still cannot do one!!

My DD was in a noncompetitive gym until she was 9, so a press handstand wasn't on her radar. She did get one pretty quickly though.

Wow! Is it common to get them that young? Or is it more of a size thing?

has to do with strength weight ratio. and neither are easier on floor or beam. it has more to do with their wrists.

My dd was five. She got it very quickly after she started training them. She is tiny(under 40 lbs) and super strong.

This makes me wonder- and sorry if this is a foolish question- is there a way to measure strength to weight ratio?

has to do with strength weight ratio. and neither are easier on floor or beam. it has more to do with their wrists.

Sooo....I have wondered for a while, if the strength to weight ratio is not there at 7..or 8..or 10, etc. , is it attainable at a later age? Kipper is strong, but not tiny. She is a very solid bundle of muscle. Her old gym did very little conditioning and strength training, and I don't remember seeing her ever work on press HS. She decided a year ago to work on it on her own. I have now spotted about 1 million. She is getting closer to doing it unassisted...but the progress is slow. There is no doubt she is significantly stronger after 5 months in the new gym. But...is the S/W ratio something that can change significantly over time?

Dunno can you explain the wrist thing?
My older is 8 and still cant quite get them (so close) she is tall and flexible. My 4yo can already push herself in the straddle and trying to do them (too much watching her big sister) and she is short and beefy.

LOL this threat reminds me, a couple of years ago at the start of the comp season party, coaches got all the parents on the floor and put them through a modified warm up that our girls do, with the girls watching and dying from laughing. I needed an ice pack on my back and a hot pack on my neck for a week after that.... And I considered myself in a pretty good shape. By the way great and humbling experience for parents... wish they did it every year to remind parents about the difficulty of everyday practice.

Dunno can you explain the wrist thing?
My older is 8 and still cant quite get them (so close) she is tall and flexible. My 4yo can already push herself in the straddle and trying to do them (too much watching her big sister) and she is short and beefy.

LOL this threat reminds me, a couple of years ago at the start of the comp season party, coaches got all the parents on the floor and put them through a modified warm up that our girls do, with the girls watching and dying from laughing. I needed an ice pack on my back and a hot pack on my neck for a week after that.... And I considered myself in a pretty good shape. By the way great and humbling experience for parents... wish they did it every year to remind parents about the difficulty of everyday practice.

some kids find it easier to do on a beam because their fingers are off the end/side whether sideways or English. wrists don't have to bend as far as doing it on the floor.

My dd was five. She got it very quickly after she started training them. She is tiny(under 40 lbs) and super strong.

This makes me wonder- and sorry if this is a foolish question- is there a way to measure strength to weight ratio?

yes, with scientific equipment.

Sooo....I have wondered for a while, if the strength to weight ratio is not there at 7..or 8..or 10, etc. , is it attainable at a later age? Kipper is strong, but not tiny. She is a very solid bundle of muscle. Her old gym did very little conditioning and strength training, and I don't remember seeing her ever work on press HS. She decided a year ago to work on it on her own. I have now spotted about 1 million. She is getting closer to doing it unassisted...but the progress is slow. There is no doubt she is significantly stronger after 5 months in the new gym. But...is the S/W ratio something that can change significantly over time?

yes and yes.

My oldest had it around 6 or 7. My youngest at 10 still doesn't have it and probably never will. Both went to the same gym and had the same coaches. Both are very flexible, younger being actually slightly more so. However, the older one is by far stronger.

I, on the other hand, can press to a stand from a sitting position, preferably on a comfy couch.

I was never a competitive gymnast; however, I did yeah myself a press from a straddle stand (so no, not NEARLY as difficult as from a straddle sit, but still yay), not jumping, when I was 25. I also learned a kip that year. Coincidentally (not) I was in the best shape of my life that year--my strength to weight ratio had changed drastically. I had dropped 25 lbs a few tears prior and had been going to the gym and taking a circuit training class for a year. So yes, it can change over time and it makes a huge difference!

My DD finally figured out the press to handstand last year at the grand old age of 12 (maybe she was 11 -- but she was almost 12 at the time). I had given up, but a gym change and a renewed focus by her over the summer on it brought it around. She probably has a favorable strength to weight ratio though - very, very strong and on the small side.

the youngest I have seen is 4 on a youtube video. Seen a couple of those. However like anything I prefer to teach them slow and careful and a nice shape. Hard to correct that shape and those bent arms once they are a habit.

I could never do it from sitting but mine was good from standing. Not sure about now though. Would probably end up in a headstand. LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back