WAG Press handstand discouragement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

micdda

Coach
These are so hard!!
my wrists feel like they are going to break when i try to lean forward enough to get my feet off the ground! :(
I really think I have enough strength to get up, but i can't get my hips over my hands/head.
really, anything, any tips you know would be great. how did you (or your daughter) learn it? how can i build up to it and strengthen the right muscles to get up?

Doings lots of them against the wall. You can focus on just back to wall, lower down slowly and kick back up.

For your wrists, start building up your wrist strength by training extended HS against the wall (stomach to wall). Test your max time and then try to practice 5-7 holds with half of your max time. If your max is 60s, do 30. Rest about 45s-60s in between attempts.

Do an intense pike and narrow straddle stretch session before you try the press hs. Use that as a warm-up to the skill to make it easier to keep your legs closer to your ribs as you put pressure on your hands to lift yourself up.

If you get into the compressed position I'm talking about but still have to lean too far, it will be from a lack of strength in your abs, hip flexor muscles, and chest. That group of muscle need to be strong enought to hold the pike position before and during the hip lifting phase. That group's strength is so important that your on board body computer will keep your feet on the ground if the strength isn't there.

If you think a press is a strength move your partially right, but in the way you'd think. Shoulder strength alone will not get you there. I know that because I've BTDT.

My dd learned how to do it about 9 months ago. I'm not really sure how she figured it out...she just did. I know that now when she does it she says she has to remember exactly when to turn her hips up to maintain her balance. If she waits too long, she tips over. Don't know what to tell you about wrist strength though.

Shoulder strength, core strength, active hip flexibility in pike or straddle. The bigger you are the more all of this goes up.

hey! you all have been a big help! Im getting a lot closer! what really helped was sticking my head out and looking 1 or 2 feet out on the floor from my hands. must help with the weight shift or something..

micdda,

We cannot and do not discuss possible medical diagnosis on this site. We also will not allow anyone to give medical advice. If you have pain and things "pop" then please see a physician. It is beyond dangerous to seek medical advice from strangers on the internet.

Technically, sticking your head out isn't good form but moving your eyes from neutral to your wrists puts your shoulder in a stronger position. Might also recruit more chest musculature.

Obviously you have a good head on your shoulders........and you're using it as a counter balance. It's just like an old fashioned see-saw on the play ground. Your head sticking out puts that extra amount of weight farther forward of your hands, and that weight is pulling down to help the other end, your hips, lift up.

I can remember how good it felt to get this skill, and it's great to see you prove to yourself that you can do the skill. Just remember that more pike flexibility will make it even easier.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back