Press handstand - rotating hips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
Hi everyone,

I know this topic seems to have been discussed to death, but I would really appreciate some advice/drill suggestions. I'm an 18 year-old level 5 and working press handstands. I understand the motion of lifting through my back when pressing up and down, but can't seem to get my hips to rotate. This is an issue in inverted holds as well. My coach says I'm strong enough, but I can't figure out how to shift my hips forward in the straddle or piked inverted holds so that I find a balance point of sorts. My coach even stood behind me on beam (so I could lean back as much as I needed w/o falling) and pulled my legs backwards to get into position but my body won't go. Same with on floor. If I lean forward at all and prepare for a press, I can't get my legs up into a V near my shoulders like most people can. My hips just pop and I can only get my legs about 3 inches off the floor. This makes a press from clear support impossible. How is it that some people can do a clear support 6 inches off the ground and some can only just barely clear the floor, no matter how strong they are? I'm definitely flexible enough, I can lie flat on my stomach in a straddle position.

I hope this makes sense to everyone, sorry if it's a bit confusing. If you have any advice or went through this/had a gymnast with these issues please let me know :)

Thanks!!

[video=youtube;CjaHngiHDmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaHngiHDmo[/video]

Just because you have passive splits flexibility does not mean you the press will be any easier. You need to develop active hip flexibility.

As an 18yo, your body size will have different leverage forces placed upon it during a press than a 6yo or 10yo.

Work on your straddle-L sit ability. Work lots of them with your back against the wall, especially holding the position where your toes are 1 inch off the ground.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to tell my coaches about those drills, and that video is really helpful :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back