WAG Press HS and Straddle Cast HS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H.J.

Proud Parent
Is it pretty much a given that if a gymmie can't do a press handstand then she won't be able to do a straddle cast handstand on bars either? I definitely see how feeling the form of and having the strength to do a press hs would help in getting a straddle cast hs, but is it more than just helpful -- is it a pre-requisite? DD seems to get conflicting coaching advice on how crucial it is to have a press. One is insistent that there's no way she'll get the cast-hs without first having a press; the other isn't.

My DD struggles with the press -- she can't figure out how to pop her shoulders back from when she's leaned over her wrists to where she needs to get back in line with her wrists. She just sort of collapses forward. Or is this more of a hips issue -- as in when to open them?

It seems like she should be strong enough to do it -- she can hold up her straddle for a minute and she climbs rope sans legs no problem. Or are these not necessarily indicators of the kind of strength she needs? She's a 10 yo L6 for whatever that's worth.

Your experiences?

My dd can do press handstands and they have helped her with bars a lot!

They are not, however, a requirement to get a good cast handstand as we have lots of good bar workers in our gym who can’t do a press. There are other factors I think that have been talked about on here by many people smarter than I about center of gravity, and other technical things. I’m sure coaches’ perspectives will follow shortly.

Good luck to your dd!

Does she have to do a straddle handstand? Ours does a great none straddle handstand and an ok straddle one....is it possible for her to do the non straddle?

Dd doesn't really have a press handstand (she can get up, wobbly, sometimes, and never back down cleanly), but she has a nice, clean, vertical cast handstand and a pretty consistent (when she's not injured) kip cast handstand. I do think the momentum of the cast is a big help.

Does she have to do a straddle handstand? Ours does a great none straddle handstand and an ok straddle one....is it possible for her to do the non straddle?

I guess I just assumed a straddle was easier than non-straddle and a progression toward the latter. No? Still, she can't do a non-straddle cast handstand either. She has trouble leaning over and then opening her shoulders at the right time to get her casts high enough.

Dd doesn't really have a press handstand (she can get up, wobbly, sometimes, and never back down cleanly), but she has a nice, clean, vertical cast handstand and a pretty consistent (when she's not injured) kip cast handstand. I do think the momentum of the cast is a big help.

Oh, that would make sense. In the press there's not the same momentum. So a press is harder? Or just different, I suppose.

Is it pretty much a given that if a gymmie can't do a press handstand then she won't be able to do a straddle cast handstand on bars either? I definitely see how feeling the form of and having the strength to do a press hs would help in getting a straddle cast hs, but is it more than just helpful -- is it a pre-requisite? DD seems to get conflicting coaching advice on how crucial it is to have a press. One is insistent that there's no way she'll get the cast-hs without first having a press; the other isn't.

My DD struggles with the press -- she can't figure out how to pop her shoulders back from when she's leaned over her wrists to where she needs to get back in line with her wrists. She just sort of collapses forward. Or is this more of a hips issue -- as in when to open them?

It seems like she should be strong enough to do it -- she can hold up her straddle for a minute and she climbs rope sans legs no problem. Or are these not necessarily indicators of the kind of strength she needs? She's a 10 yo L6 for whatever that's worth.

Your experiences?
I have had two girls win western nationals on bars who could not press at all. So yes you absolutely can easily straddle cast handstand without a press. Currently we probably Have over a dozen girls on team who cannot press but do cast to h stand

My dd struggled with her press for a while but could still do her cast to handstand consistently. I agree with what others here have said and wish your daughter the best! It takes a lot of practice (both skills) but she will get there.

At my DD's prior gym, fewer than 10% of the girls could do a press handstand by L6/7 (not emphasized there), but all of them got straddle cast handstands.

Current gym - most can do both, as presses were trained more consistently.

My daughter could do press handstands until she was blue in the face but it took her forever to get her cast handstand on bars. However, her teammates who could do no press hand stands got their cast hand stands well before she did. ;)

She should work drills for CHS on bars. There is a something about being able to get your shoulders over the bars that can be challenging...even for a kid that can do a press HS.

Just to confirm what everyone else has said.... my DD got her kip-straddle cast handstand before she got a consistent press. She could always press to handstand from standing (both straddle and pike), but struggled from sitting in straddle. Like your DD she often fell forward. She would get it for a few weeks, and then lose it. I think hip flexibility played a big part; more than strength. In any event, your DD will get both skills eventually. Tell her not to give up. My DD is finally pressing consistently from straddle, and sometimes can even connect a second.

I have had two girls win western nationals on bars who could not press at all. So yes you absolutely can easily straddle cast handstand without a press. Currently we probably Have over a dozen girls on team who cannot press but do cast to h stand

I read somewhere that Simone Biles cannot do a press handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back