MAG preteam (sort of) for 5yo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

curlymop

Proud Parent
Do most boy's teams have a pre team group, or do they just pull them from rec classes and put them on team? Our gym is small and doesn't have a pre team, but my youngest DS (just turned 5) has been asked to join the team as a non-competing L4. He'd be training with 2 other boys who would be competing as 7yo L4s.

I worry mostly about his maturity level, as he is somewhat of a free spirit. Loves to crack jokes and sometimes will go to great lengths to make other kids laugh. (read: he can be really annoying at times). Older DS had some of the same issues last year, but he mostly shaped up when he joined the team.

I'm also wondering how beneficial it will be for him to learn the L4 routines when he's too young to compete. Wouldn't his time be better spent working on other drills?

The problem is that it's either let him train with the L4s or keep him in rec for another year, as there is no in between group. I'm leaning toward letting him try it over the summer to see how it goes. He loves being in the gym, so he'll be thrilled to spend more time there. I can always pull him out if he seems overwhelmed or is having behavior issues.

Thoughts? Does this sound like a huge waste of time and money, or does it sound like an opportunity to learn L4 skills without the pressure of having to compete?

It really depends on how it's done. DS's gym is looking to increase the size of the boys' program, so they currently have a preteam of eleven tiny boys. Some of them will be old enough to compete next December, but some won't be age eligible until the new year. The coach from this group is none other than DS's own coach, and he does a great job of making it fun for the boys. They adore him and follow him around the gym like a flock of baby ducklings. I don't think he plans to teach them any routines until the fall; he's really just working on skills at this point. Oh, and jumping into the pit. They do a lot of jumping into the pit. And jumping off the vault table. And jumping off of pbar blocks. And just jumping generally!

I think they're getting kind of a warped perspective on what a gymnastics team coach is though -- a few days ago, one of them was in the gym waiting for his big (team) brother, and saw that the program director was down on the floor, rolling out his sore back for a few minutes with a foam roller. The little guy ran out into the gym and jumped on top of the program director . . . .

So if your preteam coach seems like he is primarily focusing on keeping it fun while teaching the boys some basic skills, I see no reason not to go for it. It's great for them to fall in love with gymnastics when they are very young.

My experience of preteam is that they are training the L4 skills, so I think it's fine, particularly in a training group of 3. My son trained L4 in preteam for a little over a year before being moved to L4 team the year he was old enough to compete. But yes, there's not much below the L4 skills really. It's not a waste for him to train them.

At my boys' gym, generally pre - team leads to team, and if the younger boys are ready, they move up even before they are old enough to compete - but often do shorter practices/fewer days. The little rascals can often work higher skills in certain events (and their strength-weight ratio is in their favor) so pre-team (2 hours a week, mostly round off drills, hand stands, etc) isn't enough for them. Oh, and learning and remembering the routines is often the hardest part for the younger boys, so working on that early is not a waste of time! - plus form is a big issue....

It really depends upon the kiddos ability to pay attention (compared to the other boys in group - so herding cats no matter how you look at it)....My boys are both SOOOOO happy to not have to practice with the L4/L5s at all any more - they feel they get so much more done - I think they forget they were the ones goofing off a few years ago!

So I think what we are saying is that the trajectory goes like this:

ages 4-6: run around like a litter of kittens chasing toys and drive the coach nuts
ages 7-8: start to figure out how to focus
ages 9-12: train hard and advance
ages 13-15: loll around on the equipment and make fart jokes to each other until the coach loses it and makes them condition for an hour
ages 16-18: train hard and advance when the optional girls are looking

I totally agree - except DS 14 is presently in the train super hard and take extra turns while the other boys are lolling about because the optional girls MIGHT be looking....but never admit it to your optional level 11 year old sister!

I think it depends on how it is handled. Out boy's team does not work routines all the time, just skills for the routines. I would not worry too much about his behavior, all little boys take time to learn to focus. If you can talk to the coach about it, I would though. Present your hope that gym being fun and not too serious, as he is 5yo.

Thanks for the responses! I think we will try it out over the summer and see how it goes. When I mentioned my concerns about behavior to the head coach, he reminded me that I had the same concerns about older DS just last year (also 5 when he started, but turned 6 in time to compete). While older DS's group still has a fair amount of goofing off, there weren't any huge problems this past year, and they really shaped up after that first meet. I don't think I need to worry about the fun factor. Both coaches seem adept at keeping it fun while reigning them in when necessary. 5yo DS also adores the young guy who will be coaching this new group, so maybe that will help keep his behavior in check.

So now this means we'll practically be living at the gym this summer. What was once meant to be a once a week activity for my preschoolers has turned into so much more.

Reactions: sce
lol....yeah, with my boys in L5 and L6 next year, I will be there every day except Sundays. Joy! Thankfully, its in an area with stores I can frequent and a nice park....just wish there was a library closer!

profmom, I love your timeline. That is hilarious!

Our gym is working on expanding its boys program, too. This past year they introduced a step between rec (1 hour per week) and pre-team(6 hours per week). It was basically an invitation only 2-hour per week rec but they started training routines and working on form. So the progression for the boys at least over the summer is:
rec 1 hr per week (age 4 to 9)
little advanced 2 1-hr sessions per week (age 4 to 9)
pre-team 3 2-hr sessions per week (ages 6-8)
jr b team 15 hours in 4 sessions per week
jr a team 20 hrs in 4 sessions per week
optional 28 hrs per week

I'm kind of hoping and have suggested that a step between pre-team at 6 hrs/week and jr b at 15 hrs/week might be a good idea. I can't imagine 7 and 8 year-old kids doing 15 hrs a week without burning out or overuse injuries. That seems crazy to me. Anyway, I guess we'll cross that bridge when and if we get to it.

Our gym is working on expanding its boys program, too. This past year they introduced a step between rec (1 hour per week) and pre-team(6 hours per week). It was basically an invitation only 2-hour per week rec but they started training routines and working on form. So the progression for the boys at least over the summer is:
optional 28 hrs per week

I'm kind of hoping and have suggested that a step between pre-team at 6 hrs/week and jr b at 15 hrs/week might be a good idea. I can't imagine 7 and 8 year-old kids doing 15 hrs a week without burning out or overuse injuries. That seems crazy to me. Anyway, I guess we'll cross that bridge when and if we get to it.
15 and 20 hours is a lot for lower level boys team.

optional 28 hrs per week

Wow, that does seem like a big jump from 6 to 15 hours. I don't think we'd have a team at all if our gym expected that many hours so young. My 6yo is going into 1st grade next year, and I'm balking at the 9 hours our coach wants him to do. I know every family is different, but I think my 5 and 6 year olds are far too young to make gymnastics their only activity.

optional 28 hrs per week

Wow, does your gym only do the Jr Elite/Future Stars programs? Those are very high hours for JO track, especially for boys teams (tend to do less hours than girls compulsory).

Smaller programs and you'll see more of the tap on the back coupled with "You should do team, wanna be on team?"

Bigger programs and you'll see preteam groups. Some gyms don't even compete L4 because they have so many compulsory boys or they may only compete it in-house.

a few days ago, one of them was in the gym waiting for his big (team) brother, and saw that the program director was down on the floor, rolling out his sore back for a few minutes with a foam roller. The little guy ran out into the gym and jumped on top of the program director . . . .

This is why I don't ask or pay boys to walk on my back. They get this idea that my spine is a springboard. That, and their balance tends to be worse.

[QUOTE="Wow, does your gym only do the Jr Elite/Future Stars programs? Those are very high hours for JO track, especially for boys teams (tend to do less hours than girls compulsory).[/QUOTE]

I don't really know what they compete or what the various options are. How is Jr Elite/Future stars different than JO? I'm very new to this. All they've told me is they are looking to get my 6yo son ready to compete L4 possibly as soon as this fall. I think it's a bit much, but he would spend half his time in the gym if he could. The other half would be split between learning more programming so he can write video games and designing houses the size of Mt Everest:D. We started my son a few years ago at this gym because it was someplace he could flip and jump and tumble and learn to do it without hurting himself, because he was going to do it :rolleyes: It is also only 4 miles from home. This is the first I've even seen the team schedule and I don't know if the hours are bumped up because it's summer or if they still try to keep this many during the school year. I guess I'll find out in August.

Yeah usually there's more hours in the summer, although that's still a bit high. Jr Elite/Future Stars are just more demanding programs to prepare for future elites. Some gyms do this with almost everyone, some with no one, some with everything in between...just depends on the coach and program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back