Parents Preteam Vent - and some advice requested. Is it normal for DD to be so "confused"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like I've started a lot of threads for a newbie, but I have a question that I was hoping some of you parents could relate to.

DD is 7. She has been in gymnastics for 3 years - she started at age 4. She did 1 year tots, 1 year developmental, 6 months "mighty mites" and now 6 months of "Level 3" preteam (her gym doesn't compete 3s). The girls on her "team" are aged (JUST turned) 5 through 7.5.

I've posted before about her coach. She's very stern, not a lot of smiles, and of course, corrects my DD a LOT. Now, a lot of the girls are much younger and are, as a rule, not really corrected. I naturally assume that this has to do with age and expectations. I do have to say, my DD seems to "get" the corrections on the floor, and really cleans up well when she implements them. But, she seems to have instilled upon herself that she just isn't a good gymnast because she's always being corrected, and the other girls aren't. She doesn't understand, at age 7, why 5 year old "Susie" gets complemented when her toes weren't pointed and then fell off the beam, and why DD gets corrected because her arms weren't quite positioned right while walking across the beam. As much as I try to explain some of this, hearing it from me isn't enough for DD - she thought/thinks her coach thinks she "sucks".

We nearly switched gyms two months ago - she was offered a spot at a neighboring gym competing L3 in the fall. After discussing for some time the pros and cons with my DH (pull DD vs. move her), another girl was pulled from DD's current team for similar reasons. DD's coach seemed to have some sort of wake-up call and her demeanor changed dramatically. DD was happy, no longer nervous for practices and seemed to enjoy going, and most importantly, she did not want to switch gyms. Coach was actually complementing DD a bit. Plus, she LOVES her teammates dearly and the gym is like home to her.

So, we signed on through December, at which time she's supposed to "try out" for L4, and upon making it, we'd reup again. I told DD when we signed the contract (the first actual contract started this June), that it was a done deal, we were staying. She seemed very excited when I turned it in. Today, out of "nowhere" she bursts out crying that she can't take "Beth" anymore (name changed) as a coach, and that she just wants to quit. DD hasn't even been in the gym since last Tuesday. Apparently, coach is reverting a bit back to her old ways.

Two hours later, she tells me she doesn't want to quit. An hour later, she says actually, she DOES want to quit. Shortly after that, she was running around in her leotard and asking for help to do some pullups.

After the wavering I asked her to give it some time (through the end of the month) before deciding. I said we could even take a week off for "vacation" so she can think about it and see if she misses it. We also told her we'd support whatever her decision ultimately was, but we needed to know she was sure before pulling. At our gym, if you pull out of team at this age, you're pretty much done for. I also want to consider that the increase in gym hours could be impacting her right now, as is her schedule in general. She goes from 2-4 on Mondays and is back in again from 9-11 on Tuesdays. That's a LOT for a little tyke, and a small part of why we nearly switched gyms. That's a lot of conditioning and corrections in a small amont of time.

As a parent, I am at a loss of what to do. She's only 7, so it's so sad. I personally see that she loves it but she hurts some, too. Do I pull her (even after signing an agreement)? Do I attempt a gym switch? Do I put her back in rec? Do I pull her altogether? This is the first time I've been at such a loss. We'd already signed her up for the "fun" rec camp at our gym later this month, and today decided to begin going to open gyms for more "fun" gym time for her.

She'll have her current coach til December, and then she's also in charge of the 4s, though she isn't always "there" for that. My personal preference would be to either switch now (which will also screw up necessary carpools which other working families do rely on some - I know it's not about that, but I'd still feel terrible), or stick it out a bit and switch in December, when our 'contract' is up.

I am not even sure she could have that previously offered spot on the other team at this point (that started at the end of june), and that also conflicted with summer school a LOT, but we could just put her in whatever at this point. I don't think there is any chance, right now anyway, that we'd let DD stay at our current gym much past the end of the contract. I can't handle the drama right now between DD and the coach.

My burning question also: is this just the nature of competitive gymnastics?

And the sad part, this is only the most important gripe I have with the gym at the moment. I just don't want to alienate you all with the whole mess of it. Sigh.

Thanks for the vent and any advice you may have.

seasoned gym mom

Look, from your post something tells me you don't really like this coach. It's just that your a new gym parent and have never experienced anything else. Leave this gym now. Leave on good terms, but go to the other gym.
Not to be mean to the other coach, but, if you don't like her now, you won't like her 6 months from now.7yr olds should love going to gymnastics. lv 3/4 is just the begining and it should be fun and exciting.
Does the new gym have a good program? Do they're gymnasts score well? Are there girls she can make friends with and have fun? Does the coach treat the gymnasts with respect? Ask this of both programs and then decide.

Clearly this coach is not a good fit. Why prolong the agony? Just leave and either find a new gym or find something fun to do. If gym isn't fun at this age what is the point?

No "contract" would make me keep my kid miserable.

Hmm, it sounds like you have a lot invested in this gym, although surely not enough for your child to be miserable! I would try to explore every avenue first, though, to give them the opportunity to correct the problem. If there has been a significant change in the coach's attitude in the past, maybe others have complained and the owners' know there is a problem.

I can tell you that my daughter is six and training Level 3. She doesn't really "get it" at all. When she was in little pre-team, she really stood out among the other kids, and her coaches were often high school students, and she was definitely considered a pet. She enjoyed this. :rolleyes: Now, she is grouped with other kids her age and ability, and doesn't really stand out at all. In addition, she came home the other day and cried in the car. When I asked her what was wrong (it looked like a good practice), she said, "Everything I do (sob) in this (gasp) class is (shudder) WRONG!" Well, they are working on routines and will start competing in August and have gotten to the nit-picky phase. She remembers being in her other classes where after every turn she got praise, and now after every turn she gets a correction. Her coaches are very good and I can see with my eyes they are not being mean at all, she just doesn't understand the change. As fun as the coaches make Level 3, she also doesn't see why her friends in Rec. get to play in the pit during their class, etc. Anyway, luckily her older sister was a gymnast, so she talked to her, and after a nap she was practicing her beam routine in my living room, but I do think it's hard for them to understand the mentality of preparing for competition when they've never seen a competition, you know?

Anyway, luckily her older sister was a gymnast, so she talked to her, and after a nap she was practicing her beam routine in my living room, but I do think it's hard for them to understand the mentality of preparing for competition when they've never seen a competition, you know?

This is so true! Just wait until they do compete and it should fall into place. DD started to compete at 6 and she is very hungry for corrections now. She constantly asks her coaches to "Watch me..." She is now only 7 and it works for her. But I also agree, switch gyms now. My DD asked to switch gyms this year almost for the same thing. We did switch her and she is so happy and very determined on progressing. Keep us updated with whatever you decide to do.

This is so true! Just wait until they do compete and it should fall into place. DD started to compete at 6 and she is very hungry for corrections now. She constantly asks her coaches to "Watch me..." She is now only 7 and it works for her. But I also agree, switch gyms now. My DD asked to switch gyms this year almost for the same thing. We did switch her and she is so happy and very determined on progressing. Keep us updated with whatever you decide to do.
I agree. DD's coaches are tough and exact but DD always tells me that they just want to make her a better gymnast. I'm not so sure that I would've felt that that at her age, LOL. I understand why you want to look at changing gyms, but I would just caution your daughter that correction is part of competitive gymnastics no matter what gym she goes to. I'm not sure if current coach is approachable or not, but if she is, maybe have a chat before making a change. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Ask all the questions you have - that is one of the purposes of the CB so those of us who have been around longer than dirt can share what we have for experience with those just starting out. It's great to look at the newbie questions and discuss them too becuase it makes for some great discussion for all. So Welcome and Ask away.

I agree with Bog and the others that say this isn't a good fit. I would call the other gym and see if first the possible spot is available - if it is I would ask if she could do a week of trying out the gym. This will let you know if the other gym is a better fit and if your daughter is open to the idea of moving. It also will let your DD see that getting corrections is all part of all teams and she will still get corrections no matter where she goes. Don't worry about the "contract" they won't be after you if you decide to leave now instead of waiting until Dec. That type of contract is more so if you don't pay when you are there they have it. People leave and move around all the time.

It sounds like you and your dd aren't happy with this coach but the rest is ok. It may be too that L4 might be too challenging and starting with the other gym at L3 might be a little less stressfull for everyone.

A 7yo being ficlke is normal just like any girl really of any age. I find that when my DD gets that fickle moment she may have missed out on one too many b-day parties or something like that. You know your DD best and you know if this is the sport for her and if you are confident that she really would love this without that coach then you can either move to a new situation or talk to the coach and tell her how your DD feel just like you did here. She may not even be aware that she is reverting back to her old ways unless someone tells her.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
My dd is 7 so I totally get where you are coming from. My dd did one year of rec and was invited to team last year. She competed this year at L3 and is now training L4 but may have to do L3 again.

We have been through a lot this year. My dd had a very tough time moving from rec class star to "average" team kid. The corrections do start kicking in when they move to team and I can say she is just now understanding and accepting it as part of competitive gymnastics.

We did a gym switch in December as dd had a coach who yelled and she simply couldn't handle his style. She also has anxiety issues so I needed her to be in the most supportive gym environment. The new gym competed L3 (original gym does not until L5) so I thought it was important for her to get the experience and make sure competitive gym was for her.

I would switch gyms if you think your dd will be happier. As others have said, it should be fun and if she's anticipating what will happen and is getting upset than it can't be fun for her (not to mention for you). My dd occasionally will have tears surrounding gymnastics when her anxiety is getting her but she always tells me gym is what she wants to do. The minute she says she doesn't want to do it I will take her out.

I've also had the talks with her about moving to rec etc. and she always says she wants to stay on team. This summer she moved from 4 hours a week to 6 and it was an adjustment but now she is fine.

Good luck in your decision.

I am completely new so I love these questions :) but my I have two thoughts. First, it doesn't seem like it is a good fit. But secondly, and I have given this some thought myself, is that just because you started at a gym for preschool classes doesn't mean it is the best for your child for progressing in gymnastics. I choose DD's current gym because it is 5 minutes from our house, has a great summer program and she ended up loving it. I had no idea she would get asked to move to pre-team, and since then I have heard there are other gyms in the area that might be "better", but I've looked at scores from some of the meets and the girls from our gym seem to do well....Would I have started somewhere else if I had known she might move to pre-team? I'm not sure, I like her gym so far and it has been great for her opening up and getting comfortable. So we'll start here but it is with a thought in my mind that if this is something DD really excels at and wants to pursue, we could be at our gym for the long haul or a move could be in our future at some point in time.

There are many types of clubs and with those go many types of coaches. There are also many types of kids. Not every club will fit every gymnast but the gymnast should be happy most of the time.

If your DD at 7yrs is miserable I think it is important for her to feel connected and supported by the coach at her age and level. time.

That being said before you make any changes check out a few clubs and maybe do a few practices to get a feel of the other clubs. If DD feels more connected or likes another coach/club better I would switch. she should love gymnastics ag her age most of the time or it is not worth it.

There have been many a times where Dd's HC bugged me!! She has for the most part been happy with him and never asked to leave. He is not a perfect coach mind you but, he is never mean to the girls there feelings come first he does correct them but kindly. This is a man mid you who has never had kids iand is not married......this says a lot about him.

Any contract can be broken and I am sure has been by others.

Best wishes keep asking questions thats why others are here.

Why don't you mention to the coach, or head coach, owner, whoever you need to, about what is going on and that your dd feels unliked and is having a hard time handling all the criticism, but seems to thrive under positive refinforcement. Then give it until the end of the month with the camp, open gyms, etc. If things don't change, switch gyms now. If they do change, but then revert back to the old ways in a couple of months switch in December. I definitely see a gym switch in your future, it is just a matter of when. Nothing wrong with giving them a few months to improve before moving though, she is young still.

Have you ever spoken with the coach? If they don't know that something is upsetting to a chld then there is no chance to fix it. It sounds like this coach is coaching more to the age than the level---more encouraging to the young ones and tougher on the older ones. It may be because she feels the older girls are closer to being ready to move to L4 and since she also works with that group knows exactly what your dd will need skill and presentation wise to move on. You'll never know until you ask.

If the coach blows you off or is not really responsive, then I would contact the other gym and have her go and tryout there again. Always double check the contract you signed(sorry see my user name!) because you never know what might be in the fine print.

Certainly your dd's happiness is the #1 priority so work toward getting some answers and then moving if you have to.

I agree with gym law mom. Schedule a meeting with your dd coach first before switching. Perhaps this coach is harder on your dd because she sees a lot of potential ? Sometimes switching programs/coaches exchanges one set of issues for another. I know my dd has learned over the years that each coach has a different personality and with time has learned how to work through the different coaching styles. Not to say that moving gyms will not be in your dds interest long term, but competitive gymnastics really is a tough sport. AND the kids that are able to stay in the sport learn quickly that corrections and nit picking are the ways that they will be ready for competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back