Preventing Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ever since summer practice started, I have been ripping at least once a week. Finally the big rip I had healed, but tonight I ripped again, twice. Does anybody have any suggestions for preventing the rips? I feel like it is hard for me to get in a good bar workout. I use tapegrips, but they kind of mess up my swing, particularly for giants, and bars is my worst event. Thank you for any suggestions!

One of my daughter's coaches swore by Bag Balm (Bag Balm 10 oz 12). DD slathers it on (nice and goopy!) every night and goes to bed with socks on her hands (gloves would work, too). She is training for level 8, 24 hours per week and has never had a rip. She also uses a pumice stone to smooth down calluses when they get too big. HTH!

One of my daughter's coaches swore by Bag Balm (Bag Balm 10 oz 12). DD slathers it on (nice and goopy!) every night and goes to bed with socks on her hands (gloves would work, too). She is training for level 8, 24 hours per week and has never had a rip. She also uses a pumice stone to smooth down calluses when they get too big. HTH!

I have also heard of this for rips. Thankfully my DD has never had really bad ones yet. Sometimes she will just put a piece of athletic tape over it and then her grips over.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into a pumice stone or Bag Balm. Normally I don't rip much, but ever since summer practice started, I keep on ripping! Thank you again! :)

Aquaphor (and vaseline for that matter) work just as well and may be easier to find. Ditto on the slathering the goop on, sleeping in cheap cotton gloves (or socks). And the most important thing is to keep those calluses filed/sanded down so they don't become raised and easily ripped off!

File down your calluses, be it using a pumice stone or shaving them off with a razor. I've done both, and I find it really useful to take away the dead skin. Rips are usually caused when your calluses bunch up and then rip off. If you can cut down how many calluses you have, you'll rip a lot less often.

When you have a rip, try to keep it wet at all times. I owe my life to blister band-aids. They are made of this kind of rubber, and they form to your hand and your rip. They can stay on for days at a time and in the shower. However, they do come off on bars. They are a bit expensive to buy, but you should be able to find them at any pharmacy, and they speed up rip healing down to 4 days sometimes.

There is really nothing to do about it, but this might seem weird but put preparation H on it and use a pumas stone to shave your rough ca lases down a bit. Also fill gloves with ice and then sleep over night with them on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back