Parents private coach for gymnastics- is there such a thing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast C's mom

Proud Parent
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a private coach for gymnasts similar to Coach Up for other sports. I understand it may be more taboo in gymnastics than in other sports to get private lessons outside the gym. I recall reading a post at least a year ago on this forum about a gymnastics coach (I think male) who coaches girls in the region 6 Boston area in his private gym but he is pricy. Does this ring a bell with anyone? If so could you pm me his information? My dd just turned 8 and is training level 4 but starting to fall behind, especially on beam. I have asked her coaches to work with her privately and they don't do that, they expect all of the team girls to get the skills in practice. I think my dd just needs a different pair of eyes so to speak. Please let me know if anyone in greater Boston area will do privates for a team member from another gym or if there is a coach who is not affiliated with any particular gym who might be able to help her out. Thanks so much!

Also I plan to ask her coach before doing anything but just wondered if it was even possible. Her gym does allow kids to attend camps and clinics at other gyms so I think they will be okay with it as long as I get approval first.

So.. I’m the queen of unusual gym situations. My DD has worked out at two gyms simultaneously, worked with no team and only privates, worked at vacations and visited gyms, and various gyms cobbled together into regular practices. I’m the first to say anything is possible. That said, most gyms would never allow regular coaching outside of the team. It is also ridiculously expensive to do one-on-one coaching regularly. I would ask the team coach if it’s even allowed first. Since they’re against team privates they may be against them happening everywhere.

I spoke with the coach and she said she would allow it because she agrees dd may just need a slightly different technique to get the skills she is falling behind on. She did say this should only be a temporary thing. I was surprised she was so open to it actually. I think our coaches are just so swamped with nationals and states this time of year and don't have the time to give her extra help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back