Parents Probably a dumb question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
If you are wanting your gymnast to see a PT to get help with flexibility in hip flexors and shoulder, do you need to get a referral from a regular doctor first? Or can you just call up a PT and ask to be seen?

In our state, insurance will cover PT without a doctor’s referral for a limited number of sessions. The PT has to do a screening and find evidence of a diagnosable issue.

Based on my child’s experience, I would highly recommend working with a real sports PT practice that serves NCAA or professional athletes. We wasted so much time and money at a local PT practice that claimed to be able to handle athletes that I began to think PT was a scam. The last time my kid needed PT we tried out the PT practice at our local D1 university, which happens to have a PT graduate program and a top med school. There was just no comparison. The local place seemed to be motivated to have her come in for as many sessions as possible, whereas the university PT was focused on getting her to feel better and get back to full workouts as quickly as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back