Problem with Roundoff Backhandspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kalgymcoach

Coach
Judge
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas or drills that help me with the following problem. One of my gg's seems to be twisting in the middle of her backhandspring! her roundoff is straight, going into the flip is straight, and then twisting hips in the air which brings her down crooked. I have gone back to basic work, ie. squatting through to end up on her back onto a deck mat. Which is fine. She is an older gymnast and is getting very upset with herself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would have her try to do a cartwheel step in back limber. See if this shows the same problem and try to fix it there. Then do roundoff back handspring from only a power hurdle.

Just a suspicion....Like most beginners, she thinks that you have to really, really, really, get upside down to do a back handspring, and really try even harder to get upside down for a round-off back handspring. When she lands her round-off she is "standing" there doing little to nothing with her legs to move into the back handspring, and is putting all of her enrgy into "arching" around and "reaching" with her chin. Either of these (arching/reaching) can cause her "strong side" back muscles to dominate the flight and snapdown phases of the skill. If it's not that, I'd consider really looking at her tumbling from an end on perspective to see if she is going in a strait line and over the top with her feet, and no arch through the handstand phase. Help her fix anything in her round-off, and her bhs will be a lot easier.

There's a post from about a month ago under the title "round-off problems" where you might find some ideas tosolve "balance" and direction issues. The information is kind of "scattered", probably because the post was done at 1:37 am, but the ideas are pretty good if you can decipher them.

she's afraid of hitting her head on the floor. you'll have to convince her that this is not so provided she knows what she's doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back