Coaches Problems with Cast HS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

titanic

Coach
Judge
I'm having major issues with one of my girls training level 7 on her cast handstand.

I've been trying straddle cast HS and for a couple of months now they've worked on cast straddle on the bar, fall over, cast straddle hold on the bar, fall over, and stuff like that. This girl also has sitting presses and I feel like should be prepared to do this but when she tries to go for the cast HS, she pushes too far away from the bar and doesn't even make horizontal.

This girl had a beautiful cast above horizontal for level 5 last year too, and we've done other drills for leaning over such as the pike drag ups to fall over. They are wonderful when I spot her on them as well.

Is there a different way to teach this to eliminate this problem? I just don't know why it's not clicking for her.

Stop straddling, do kip cast to pike position (feet close to bar) for a couple of months. Also work floor bar, jump to pike (feet close to bar), to forward roll. emphasis on hollow chest and locked arms. use words like hollow, pop, shape, jump to pike. Have her do this until she can actually balance and hold that shape in the pike. In other words, it's not the h stand she is missing, it's the mechanics to get there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back