Parents Progression question (vault?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovegymnastics22

Proud Parent
I have a question about something DD does at the gym. She jumps up from the tumbletrack and onto a high mat behind her, very straight legs and tight body. Then she does the same jump but lands on her back on the mat in a hollow position with her legs pointed in the air. They repeat this a bunch of times. They also do this same shape with a round-off onto a springboard and then into the pit in the same position. DD says this is vault. I was just curious what this was training for.

She's young but this is what they do during vault practice for TOPs. I am totally just ignorant here, but why are they doing the jumps to hollow when you have to arch your back to do a yurchenko?

No idea but I did want chime in and reassure you that I have seen Little Bit do this too during TOPS. She is 6.5

Probably working the arch to snap hollow.

What part of the vault is this? I am really just asking as a fan of the sport. I've seen thousands of yurchenkos so I am interested in how this drill works since my uninformed instinct is that you have to arch your back for a yurchenko. Do you mean after the girl pushes off the vault?

(She's L3 but also in a mixed level tops group. the little ones do this while the older ones do other drills. she is nowhere near ready to actually do a yurchenko).

Well you mention a few different drills. But they are basically trying to get them to commit to the hurdle and round off, with a tight punch. Getting the kids to punch the board with the correct position takes work. You mention another drill which could be the same, or could be working a RO to a vertical mat with an arm slam to arch. Not sure, Show us a video of the other drills and we can better explain. ALso don't worry about the arch, the RO is more important at this stage. Eventually they will start turning them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back