WAG Prone to overuse injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I have always been a healthy, active child. I am in gymnastics for 1 year now and I made it to Level 5 but will be a Level 6 soon - hopefully! I have always wanted to study sports and become a teacher, but do gymnastics as a hobby. I don't focus on being competetive - I just want to be a strong, flexible, healthy tumbler - Level 7 or so is my goal :)

The problem is - I always always get overuse injuries! I have never ever head any broken bones or something in my life, but since months I get one overuse injury after the other!

I have shin splints which don't get better, my arms (distal bicep or ulnar nerve or whatever) always hurt when I do bar work or pull-ups, last week my snapping hip tendon got inflamed, my wrists often hurt and today my right knee started to hurt :(

I started training 2 times a week for 2 hours, then 3 times. Now I train skills 8 hours a week and strength about 4 hours a week. I am well conditioned, I am far the strongest in my team (I love strength training), I can do some pull-ups (6) and leg raises (20) my core is strong and so are my calves and shoulders. I always warm-up before doing anything and I always stretch and I am really flexible. I never ever really give a 100% in training because I am too scared to injure myself :(

I can't sleep very well anymore, all I want to do is going to college, studying sports and having a nice time there - that's what I wanted since I was 10 years old!!!

But these constat, nagging pains hinder me since 1 year. I have had a physical check, lunge test and blood test. I am super healthy according to this, I just had a little Vit D and iron deficieny - but I am taking pills since 4 weeks now and it doesn't help.

Has anyone got an idea why this happens? Or similar experiences?

I know, no one will have an answer - but I am soooo frustrated! Since months this is all I can think about, from morning to evening, my head is going to explode soon :(

I have been to 7 private doctors, but no one listens, they all send me away with "rest".

I don't know what to do... maybe someone has similiar experiences here!

Thanks!

Well all I can tell you is my oldest DD got overuse injuries constantly. She was the one who was always rehabbing an injury. In the end she quit as she really couldn't stand it any more. Not every body is cut out for the rigors of gymnastics training.

The only thing I can say is to listen to the doctors about rest and make sure you get physiotherapy and continue to follow through with the exercises the physio gives you long after you return to training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back