Pros and Cons of wearing shorts to practice???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastralo

Pros and Cons of wearing shorts to practice????

List them please!!!

i think a pro wuld b keeping warm.....and having people not see your wedgies

some cons would b when it comes up to a competition the gymnast might not feel comfortble wearing just a leotard because they arent used to it

When I had to wear those short shorts in HS track that were just wrong to wear it wasn't a big deal during meets when I had to take off my warmup pants and I am damn well felt nekkid out there.

We don't allow girls to wear them on bars since they catch and wrap around the bar.

Most of the girls at my gym wear the super short velvet shorts from GK. I feel naked with just a leo on. I've never seen them get caught on bars, but if I do bars without shorts I have rubbed off skin on my upper thighs on back hip circles and clear hips before.

Pros:
- leos last longer because you can wear ones that are on the small side
- less time spent picking wedgies
- comfortable on bars-- velvet shorts in particular seem to cut down on the bruises (short arms = constantly bruised hips)
- you feel less self-conscious, particularly at certain times (if you see where I'm going here)

Cons:
- you get used to wearing shorts
- therefore, some shorts-wearers adjust their leos constantly at meets
- Soffe shorts can get caught on bars, but they have to be pretty baggy for that to happen

It always bothers me when coaches only allow you to wear shorts during certain times of the month-- I mean, come on, either ban them altogether or allow them without concessions! You might as well install a marquee in the gym advertising who is wearing shorts that week.

Pros:
Less self-concious

Cons:
Get caught on bar

I really don't get an opinion in wearing them or not. Level 7 and overs are required to wear shorts. Period.

Pros:
- leos last longer because you can wear ones that are on the small side
- less time spent picking wedgies
- comfortable on bars-- velvet shorts in particular seem to cut down on the bruises (short arms = constantly bruised hips)
- you feel less self-conscious, particularly at certain times (if you see where I'm going here)

Cons:
- you get used to wearing shorts
- therefore, some shorts-wearers adjust their leos constantly at meets
- Soffe shorts can get caught on bars, but they have to be pretty baggy for that to happen

It always bothers me when coaches only allow you to wear shorts during certain times of the month-- I mean, come on, either ban them altogether or allow them without concessions! You might as well install a marquee in the gym advertising who is wearing shorts that week.

also a con--
they ride up alot easier than leos, they like go up towards like ur buttt area, and they look retarded.
the gk ones are the best
and you can't wear them to meets

pro===
really helpful at times
they come in alotta colors

also a con--
they ride up alot easier than leos, they like go up towards like ur buttt area, and they look retarded.

Perhaps one could even say they look "silly", "dorky", or "wrong."

Anyway I don't think reasonably sized, tight fitting shorts are too big a deal and no one I know ever really had trouble transitioning to a meet without them, but we mostly didn't wear them much in the lower levels and by the time you're an optional I don't know if the lack of shorts is really going to be a big meet issue. I have to admit I don't like to see girls warming up at meets with them on for some reason, come on we're all in this together, take the shorts off for a couple hours at the meet. None of my under 10s seem to wear them.

I think they are a real positive thing, I believe that one of the major reasons that we lose pre teens and teens from gymnastics is the requirement to wear leotards. Girls go through a phase were they are very uncomfortable about their body and the shorts will help them feel less self concious.

Teens girls have a lot to deal with, they will be getting their first periods and most wont be ready for tampons, they will be changing in other ways and not yet be ready to deal with them. The shorts will help.

i like shorts are fine.. baggy ones are dangerous.. but i've always worn the GK velvet ones.. they fight tightly, and everything so they're not dangerous.. at my old gym we had to take off our shorts for beam and we only did that because they didn't want us going to meets and freaking out because we weren't wearing shorts.. worked pretty well. now everyone basically wears the same shorts.

Pros :
your less self conscious about wedgies
Cons:
You look self conscious

When at training I will be wearing shorts during stretching and bar, but not at any other time. I really don't know why maybe its an OCD or something. lol

Pros-
Covering up if it's that time for a girl.
No wedgies broadcasted to the whole gym.
Sometimes they're super-cute and match your leo! (Just kidding. Actually, not really. LOL)

Cons-
Uncomfortable at a meet without shorts.
Can get stuck in your grips, etc, on bars.
Spotting can become a death-trap if coach or you gets wrapped up in them.

when i train i normally wear my rugby shorts and gym shorts and i just take off the rugby shorts when i do bar and my coach is fine with it

i only a few people i know only wear leotards to training !
the rest of them wear tight micro mini shorts so its not dangerous or anything.
and the senior group at my gym go through phases with leggings and its fine too

Pros:
- they make you feel more comfortable
- they are a lot easier on bar we you are doing things with hips touching the bar (the worst is casts and hip circles)
- girls with that time of the month
- most of the time it prevents leotards riding up
- they are there just in case your leotard does ride up

Cons:

- can't wear them at competitions
- some materials ride up just as bad as leotards
- visible leotard up stucks
- feel nude without them at competitions
- underwear showing in competitions = deductions :(
- you get used to the feeling of them

there are heaps of other but those are just a few

I wear soffe shorts to practice and I have to say i have never gotten them caught on the bars or had coaches get tangled in them while spotting.

I wear soffe shorts to practice and I have to say i have never gotten them caught on the bars or had coaches get tangled in them while spotting.

Ditto, although I have seen shorts catching and ripping on bars. They usually have to be pretty loose and/or long to get caught, though.

I always hated wearing shorts. When I got to competitions I felt naked if I was in the habit. And shorts = more laundry. I also hate getting sweaty while wearing shorts, ick (no air conditioning).

For learning front tucks I wore them because of a lot of splatting (rug burns. Ow). And I like having some around when we really work on bars, because my hips rip BADLY. Otherwise, I never wore them much.

We wore gk shorts all the way at my gym. All of the older girls anyway. I guess we never had any problems with ripping or getting caught cause no one wore and other kind of shorts. I think it fine to wear them, especiall the gk ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back