Pros and Cons of Wrist Supports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastmom96

I could use some good advice. We have tried to avoid the use of wrist supports for my daughter for several years now. We have sought care and treatment from personal trainers, physical therapist, soaks, ice, exercises and a million other home remedies - nothing has had any long lasting relief. I worry that once she starts wearing them, they will weaken her wrist even more with disastrous results. However, as it stands now, she is struggling with painful, swollen tendons every night.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a post on gymnasticscoaching not too long ago about wrist pain and supports that generated an interesting discussion: http://gymnasticscoaching.com/?p=3370

It sounds like your daughter might be one of the few who legitimately needs wrist supports (as opposed to wearing them for fashion purposes). And I really like that you've tried strength training first. This is often overlooked. I don't think wearing wrist supports is going to decrease wrist strength, especially if she keeps up with the wrist exercises (which she absolutely should do).

wrist supports

My daughter has worn them for a couple of years. The only time she complained was before she wore them when her wrists hurt. Now she's fine, and as long as she has them and is not in pain, I certainly don't see anything wrong with using wrist supports.

I used to believe the line about wrist supports weakening the wrists. But now, I'm becoming more convinced that they do have appropriate applications--especially if you've tried strengthening without resolving the problem. IIRC, rbw knows a lot about this. I think he posted some research on this isssue on another board. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Thank you for the link. Informative but scary. They mentioned to a different type of support - do you know what they're referring to? In a sport with a 100% injury rate, we want to take every precaution.
My daughter's coach feels strongly about the non-use of supports. She said as soon as she complained with wrist pain, they slapped a pair on her and she was completely dependant on them. Even now, she pulls them out for handstand contest. However, she finally came to me yesterday and purposed wrist supports, only for beam. My daughter is developing a "knot" over those tendons - wait - before anyone scolds me - I have had them checked by an orthopedist (my brother) and he suggested supports.
When I was young, they taped our wrists and ankles every practice - of course - I've had carpel tunnel release in both hands.

Personally, as a coach and gymnast, I believe in the use of wrist supports only after strength training, physical therapy, and other things have been tried. I believe that many gymnasts become dependent on them for fashion statements, and just because they think they need them. I highly suggest, from a personal note having had a severe wrist injury (reconstructive surgery and multiple recurring cysts), if only one wrist is having trouble only wear one support. I also suggest only using it where needed--such as beam if that event hurts. I also highly suggest continuing to do physcial therapy type training to keep the wrist strong.

I have really bad pain in my right wrist and it hurts tremendously to do push up or put any kind of heavy weight on it, but the wrist supports are very expensive, and really i would only need one because my left wrist is fine. Are there alternatives to relieving this pain without dropping $50 for wrist supports? I have tried using an ace bandage, and it helps for the pain, but it's very bulky and usually cuts off the blood flow to my hand causing it to tingle, so really it's not helping much.

I'm one of the people who used them for fashion and now I really wish I hadn't- I can't even push up without mine now :(.

You could always try taping if they were too expensive, but I get really good sports bandages from the supermarket (elastoplast make them), they're expensive but quite long lasting and you can wash them when they get grubby. or covered in chalk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back