Parents Puma Jr FINALLY cleared!! (100 days after injury...)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, though it’s a bit of a moot point in the coronapocalypse (Lol), Puma Jr is FINALLY fully cleared for full activity! She injured her ankle literally 100 days ago (yes I counted lol) on vault. Her ankle rolled off the springboard and she jumped with her full weight on it and crashed into the vault table. She said she heard it pop. I knew by looking at her face as soon as I walked in that it wasn’t good.(VERY thankful that the owner had her iced and elevated immediately). I know that a lot of you guys have had kids with much more severe injuries, so I shouldn’t complain, but I swear this felt like the injury that would never heal! Originally they didn’t see a break, so they put they put her in an air cast, then a boot...then casted it...even after all that and the fracture was healed, an MRI revealed damage to two ligaments...but after what felt like the 89th virtual visit, they finally think she‘s good to go. Now to keep this squirrelly kid from doing too much too soon...lol We’re trying to look at the silver lining with all this. If she had to have a season ending injury AND there has to be a pandemic that shut everything down, I guess it’s good at least they were one in the same? Thanks to everyone who sent good mojo during all this and I hope everyone is staying safe and doing well! :)

So good to hear she’s finally cleared. I have to say, don’t underestimate any injury. If I named all the injuries my daughter has had, you’d think a bad ankle sprain (punching on a rolled ankle to do her double back on floor, somewhat similar to yours) sounded the least severe. But it was the biggest cause of all her injuries/pain for 5 years. She sprained it a week after her first Level 10 meet and has not stopped setting her back to this day.. That sprain led to a bone bruise, constantly rolling her ankles, very loose ligaments, etc, which culminated into two major ankle surgeries. The first surgery, a lateral ankle ligament reconstruction using an artificial ligament, failed within months after the surgery. Her ankle started to get very loose again. Another surgery was the only option If she wanted to continue gymnastics. She opted for another surgery when she fell off bars at regionals and fractured her calcaneous bone and was going to be in a boot anyway. She had an allograft (cadaver) tendon reconstruction of the anterior talofibular and calcaneofibular ligaments the second time. That was over a year ago. Luckily, it is holding strong but still causes pain and she has sworn off tumbling, She will never do floor. I think no injury is too small when it comes to gymnastics.

I just realized, I might have dampen your spirits. I also want to say, every injury is different. Three months and counting may be the best for recovery and rehabilitating puma jr.’s ankle. i know many girls who have had similar injuries who went on without any problems. Good luck to Puma Jr.

So, though it’s a bit of a moot point in the coronapocalypse (Lol), Puma Jr is FINALLY fully cleared for full activity! She injured her ankle literally 100 days ago (yes I counted lol) on vault. Her ankle rolled off the springboard and she jumped with her full weight on it and crashed into the vault table. She said she heard it pop. I knew by looking at her face as soon as I walked in that it wasn’t good.(VERY thankful that the owner had her iced and elevated immediately). I know that a lot of you guys have had kids with much more severe injuries, so I shouldn’t complain, but I swear this felt like the injury that would never heal! Originally they didn’t see a break, so they put they put her in an air cast, then a boot...then casted it...even after all that and the fracture was healed, an MRI revealed damage to two ligaments...but after what felt like the 89th virtual visit, they finally think she‘s good to go. Now to keep this squirrelly kid from doing too much too soon...lol We’re trying to look at the silver lining with all this. If she had to have a season ending injury AND there has to be a pandemic that shut everything down, I guess it’s good at least they were one in the same? Thanks to everyone who sent good mojo during all this and I hope everyone is staying safe and doing well! :)
Yay! I hope this season will be better.

I just realized, I might have dampen your spirits. I also want to say, every injury is different. Three months and counting may be the best for recovery and rehabilitating puma jr.’s ankle. i know many girls who have had similar injuries who went on without any problems. Good luck to Puma Jr.
Not at all! I appreciate your insight! Hoping for the best, but I know it could still be an issue down the line too. The MD noted that he could see scar tissue from previous injuries on the MRI too. Crazy sport... Thanks for everyone’s love!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back