Punch front/front tuck help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't seem to land this skill no matter how hard I try. At first I thought that I wasn't getting enough height, but now I think it might have something to do with how I rotate? Instead of rotating in the air and coming down, it's like I'm rotating onto the ground because I land on my back/on my butt in my tuck position. Even when I grab my ankles/shins so that I can have a tighter tuck, I land the same way. I've seen videos of people who even if they don't get that much height, still manage to land on their feet at least in a deep squat or something. Can anybody give me some tips on how to fix this or why you think this might be happening? Like should I keep my head straight when I tuck or should I put it down towards my chest and things like that?

Without seeing a video it's kind of hard to tell, but I know that I have a similar problem, and it's because I am going more OUT then UP. Because I start to rotate before I even come as high as I can be, therefore causing an outward motion. And if you're going more out, then just by physics, the chances of making it around are pretty slim. Hope that helps!

Sounds like me! Haha, Not anymore but i used to think i was going really high because i was pushing really hard. turns out, I was going really long and therefore didn't have enough height to rotate enough.

Another possibility, you are rotating too late and not fast enough

Another possibility, you are opening out too early and hence don't rotate around enough

Another possibility, you are rotating to slow

options are endless until we see a video

One of the most common mistakes of gymnasts when starting to learn front tucks is to take off with their chest/shoulders down. So, when you "punch" off the floor, you are already leaning into your flip, and therefore not getting the height or rotation required to make it all the way around and land on your feet.

Another common problem is that some gymnasts do not have a tight tuck during the flip. Make sure your knees are close to your chest - the tighter the tuck, the faster you will rotate. Good luck, and let me know if these two corrections help!

Start with lots of timers - just straight jumps. You should not be flipping until you've come to the top of your nice high straight jump.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back