Parents Pushy crazy parents of famous gymnasts is there any??!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Met Jonathan Horton's parents at breakfast just before the second day of nationals last year. They are absolutely lovely people.

If one of my kids ever makes the big time (haha), I do hope someone digs up and shares some video I took in which I inadvertently drop an F bomb when someone falls off of some godforsaken piece of gymnastics equipment. Gotta keep it real!

Seriously though, I don't think it's crazy to get nervous or react visibly as your kid is competing. Some people do a better job of not getting personally invested in those moments than others. The crazy is where a parent has spent years pushing the kid and promoting the kid, and has basically taken a scorched earth, take-no-prisoners approach to maneuvering that kid to the top of the heap. I think you really can see the line between the parent who wants the best for her/his child and the parent who is living vicariously through his/her child's successes and failures. The former parent is sad for the child when things don't work out but focuses on helping the child manage as necessary for the child's comfort and sanity. The latter feels setbacks directly and personally and reacts accordingly.

Wasn't there some big bru-haha (love that word!) with Dominique Mocieanu's parents?

Yes, he was very controlling and may have had a personality disorder. Her book is an eye opener if you ever have the chance to read it. And although she (Dominique) doesn't say so, I'm in the club that believes they put her sister up for adoption because she was born without legs and therefore wouldn't be a gymnast they could invest in (jokes on him it turns out).
She imancipated herself and sued, mainly after he went crazy and chased her out of her home while she had a friend over for a sleepover. He's the poster child for a crazy gym parent, it would be impossible to find one crazier than he was.

Aly's parents seem completely invested in their daughter not crazy. Folks should walk a mile in other folks shoes before passing judgment on them.

My mom has a good story about my first big swim meet, when I was 9. She saw all the other parents screaming and jumping and she thought they were nuts. Then during my heat she was the craziest one of all!

When I get my turn I know I will be bad too. Especially if it happens in gymnastics, where so much can happen.

Wow Moceanus dad sounds insane, still remember Dominique fondly from the 1996 games she was a cutie. Poor kid dealing with the Karolyis in the gym & her dad outside....
Saw Lauren Hernandez parents in the audience at San Jose(on TV) they looked so proud it was adorable!!
Ragans mum looked visibly stressed any time the camera went on her! I think I'd be the same

Saw Lauren Hernandez parents in the audience at San Jose(on TV) they looked so proud it was adorable!!

Being from the same state and having a dd the exact age, I have seen the Hernandez family before. At Trials, they were positively beaming (no pun intended) Such a cute family.

The Douglas family sat behind us, with their DOG

As for Aly's parents, I laugh everytime they replay that video. It is sooo realistic! I have many bars videos that where my camera "circles" with each giant!

Being from the same state and having a dd the exact age, I have seen the Hernandez family before. At Trials, they were positively beaming (no pun intended) Such a cute family.

The Douglas family sat behind us, with their DOG

As for Aly's parents, I laugh everytime they replay that video. It is sooo realistic! I have many bars videos that where my camera "circles" with each giant!

Wait. An actual dog?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 168
Wow Moceanus dad sounds insane, still remember Dominique fondly from the 1996 games she was a cutie. Poor kid dealing with the Karolyis in the gym & her dad outside....

Google jennifer bricker. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I can't even sit down at meets. I'm usually pacing at the back, wondering if i am actually going ti have a heart attack this time my heart races so fast.

I allow myself that madness, figuring at least dd can't see me, and i rein it in when she's around so she has no idea how it affects us.

mind you we have our own crazies in the Romeo family, they worry me. Are any of the girls still in gym ?
I saw them profiled on a show a while back. The Dad especially seemed a bit overly/overtly driven on his children's behalf. Not sure what the kids are doing now...

Venus quit gymnastics in 2011, i think angel is still competing, but obviously hasn't made the olympics as planned.

Romeo was arrested for fighting or something, and got a boxing ban. I think he turned professional, but again hasn't made the olympics.

No idea what the younger siblings are doing. I got the impression they were just going to keep on having children until they got their olympian...

Nah! Dh and I were dying laughing! I found it hilarious and soooo reality. Have you ever sat and watched your kid try to make her dang shoot though in level 3?! I kept kicking my leg every time she tried. It's like a reflex. I was cracking myself up at literally not being able to stop myself. [emoji12]
I remember when I watched those parents and told my husband, these people are complete nutter butters....
....and then my kid became an optional and I swore in front of my inlaws at states....:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back