Parents Pushy Parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is more of a rant, but I'm still looking for help and other parents to offer their advice.

I went to Peanut's tiny tumbler class last night to watch because I missed parent-watch week. This class is ages 18 months to four years, before they move up to the next class. So the kids are basically babies, and the class is more of an outlet for their energy than anything real serious. Peanut's doing well and can do rolls, cartwheels, handstands and backbends. Not bad for a 3 year old boy.

My problem is one of the moms who is becoming very much a stage mom. She was yelling at her little one, Merisa, the whole time, telling her she wasn't trying hard enough, she needed to pay attention, and that she was wasting her mother's money. Merisa just turned 2, and she's so tiny, but doesn't have the interest. It's really distracting for the only kids and their parents to hear this mom yelling at her kid the whole class.

So, how do you deal with the stage-mom type? I know it's not my place, since I'm just a spectator, but I feel bad for this little girl. For a two year old, she's got some promise, and I think someone must have said that to her mom, and that's why she's pushing it so much, but I think in the end, Merisa's going to resent her for it and quit...

Ignore her completely. This parent will learn the hard way and at the detriment of her child. Anyone who would treat a two year olf that way clearly is nuts. Merisa won't quit, she won't be allowed too. Though she will suffer.

If it becomes disruptive for your child do not hesitate to approach the coach privately.

You will find psycho parents in every childrens sport, this won't be your last I promise.

You find parents like that in every gym. There is not much you can do. Certainly speak to the coach if it bothers your child. At two, it should be about having fun. Most coaches would prefer someone who wants to work hard over someone who doesn't want to be there with tons of talent. Hopefully she will learn to relax. There is nothing worse that seeing a kid at the gym who doesn't want to be there, but their parents force them. And you can definately tell which ones they are.

Like everyone is saying already, it's no good, but it happens :( If it becomes disruptive by all means say something to the program director or coach. They know how to deal with it from a perspective that the parent can understand and they're a source the parent can't ignore!

I agree with the others, there is nothing you can do but ignore them. There is no chance that they would listen to you if you were to speak up.
There is one in every gym, almost always with the younger classes - These types don't last long; either the child gives up or the parent takes their child to another gym looking for a greener pasture (which they never find). However, if the situation is really detrimental to the gym, then the owner needs to do something about it - They have the responsibility of maintaining the right environment for their customers, so if this person is a real distraction to the others then they should ask this parent to sit down and be quiet, and if that doesn't work then it might be time to tell them to go elsewhere. (We had a similar situtation many years ago and the owner did this to the benefit of all)

Not much you can do except perhaps talk to the coaches and let them know it's making you uncomfortable to be in the class with this parent. This might give them the incentive they need to talk to the mother and discuss appropriate behavior in class. i

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back