Coaches Pushy Parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I coach L3 taaf team for 3 hours a week. We had our first meet a couple of weeks ago. Most of my girls did very well. I had a few that didn't do so great. A mother confronted me about her daughter's results and why she did so poorly. Mind you, this little girl is late to every practice. So her 1.5 hour class usually ends up being an hour class. I'm not exactly sure what her mother is wanting me to accomplish with her in an hour. I suggested conditioning at home. She laughed and said well her daughter doesn't like doing that at home. Mom told me now, "I know you are hard on the girls and push them, but I need you to be more positive with my daughter!" This lady can't be serious?!!

Haha, I love those kind of parents. There was recently a mother at my club who would insist that her daughter got CONSTANT 1:1 coaching for specific moves that she chose, even when her daughter would be saying 'I don't want to do a tuck back, I'm terrified' her mother would demand her money back if her daughter wasn't doing tuck backs!

I think the best thing to do is have a general talk with the kids about how training is related to results. If you train hard, are on time, and do conditioning, you will get better results than if you don't. Ask them all to set personal goals and come up with strategies for achieving them. These can be written down in some sort of training diary or sheet (one club I go to has worksheets with boxes for drills, and then the kids write the date and tick off each session if they did it, and put a smiley face if they tried hard/improved, a blank face if they did it but didn't try or it wasn't so good, and a sad face if they didn't do it. They love to show you a sheet full of smiley faces, even the teen and tween girls)
These plans can be shared with parents, and next time she asks you why her daughter didn't get results, you have something to back you up!

ETA this also allows the girls to self evaluate, meaning that you dont necessarily have to tell them that they arent working hard enough, because they can see it themselves. Giving you room to 'be more positive with my daughter!'

Pretty normal for new team parents. Just educate them... And smile..

Texas Amateur Athletic Federation. Pretty much gives rec kids the opportunity to compete in many different sports. A lot more laid back compared to usag.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back