Parents put in older age group or squad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

annsethlucy

Proud Parent
my daughter started gymnastics in October. she is 5 almost 6. she got put with the 5-6 year olds but in her third week the coach pulled me to one side and said she thought she would do better in an older group as she is very strong and flexible and could already do all the things in that class. the age in the advanced recreational classes was between 7-10 so she was by far the youngest. she has been doing that ever since. she loves it but the gym is only just starting out. has only 1 beam. 1 bar and that's it. I went to a much bigger gym arguably the best we could reach. they have a squad. they trailed her and said she did very well and offered her a place on the squad, age in squad is 5-6. its got tons of equipment and coaches work with less kids, they always have a coach with them or watching on. I asked my daughter which one she wants to do and she said she loves both and wants to do both, but they kind of clash. in the older group they are learning things like front flips etc which she enjoys whereas in the squad she is perfecting easier moves and working on bars and beam etc. my instinct is the squad but im scared that im making the wrong decision. would love an unbiased opinion.

She should not do both, that is a very bad plan. Techiniques are never the same, also one gym is rec and the other is squad, totally different.

Sounds like she is ready to move to a gym with kids her age and level. Do consider the costs of the new gym and the commute though. Gymnastics can get very expensive very quickly.

If you think she would like to compete at some point, I would move her now. There is a big difference between rec and team. Yes, team seems to go slower in the beginning but she will learn the skills properly with his firm and will building the strength and flexibility that she will need as she moves up.

If you want her to stay in a rec program and not get into competing, then it is probably fine to stay where you are, as long as it is safe.

Agree with bogwoppit, now is the time to really consider how much you are willing to commit to gymnastics. Competitive gym, especially if you start young, becomes a huge part of your life. Your and your daughter's schedule will revolve around gym practice, competitions, and so on. That's not necessarily a bad thing but be aware.
It is often difficult to switch to competitve after being in rec as perfect form and comditioning are not as important.
It is also very difficult to force your gymnast to drop down to rec if she is loving squad but you have realized the commitment isn't working.
Of course if you do decide to put her in squad, she may decide it is not for her, and wants to do rec instead. Now that is doable lol.
Look at what the 9 or 10 year old kids are doing in each gym (hours skills commitment cost) and imagine you and your daughter there in a few years.

thanks everyone. its so hard. I think the right decision is the squad. she really wants to be on the squad and compete in future. she absolutely loves the new gym. after thinking anout it I think the only reason she wants to stay at the other gym too is that its familiar and she has friends there, although its more idols than friends as they are older and she kind of looks up to them and they ignore her a lot. I feel bad making her give up one but its for the best I think?

My DD is on team at a gym very similar to your current gym. She's the youngest on team by 3 years. It's been good this year to test the waters in competing but we are calling soon to have her assessed and moved over to a gym like your gym #2. First, she's young enough that I want her to have more opportunities than are currently available to her but second, being so young on the team has been a challenge. She idolizes her teammates and they are very sweet with her but it's not the same as true friendships.

tptally agree with the friendship thing that's how i felt with my dd. they were all laughing and talking together and she was just on her own. im worried with the squad as well though because although they are all same age they have been there longer than her and know each other. but im hoping it will be easier to make friends still because they are all the same age, just takes a bit of time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back