WAG Put into Xcel without being told

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

our gym is kind of like this, too, unfortunately. we just joined as xcel silver (age 9) and when asked if she might ever cross over to JO they said its rare in their gym because they use JO as their collegiate path. so, pretty much if they don't identify you at a young age to be a phenom, you go xcel.

This whole age thing really bothers me. I know there are some gyms that are super competitive and won't take girls past a certain age or without the "right" body type, but I think it's doing both the gymnast and the gym a disservice. My daughter started gymnastics at the ripe old age of 9. Her first season started 5 months after she came to the gym, she competed old L5 (took 2nd at state's), then tested out of L6. Her second season she took 1st at State's for L7, made the state team and took 1st at regionals. She's now been in gymnastics for just over 2 years and we're approaching her 3rd season and she'll test out of L8 and compete L9. Imagine if her gym had sidelined her because of her age. We're very fortunately that we found a gym that believed in her. If you're not happy with the excel route, try to find a gym that will let her do JO. Maybe after a season or two your current gym will take her back on their JO team...if you still want to go back.

It sounds like at your gym that they want the more advanced kids for the JO program since they said 8 was to old. Our gym is not about elite status. They have all different ages in all different levels. They do the JO and the xcel.

Without seeing her form, flexibility, body type etc it's impossible to say by skills. Bronze does seem like a lowball but you didn't say anything about vault and to get a 10 SV in silver you have to do a handstand vault on the table. Or maybe they start everyone in bronze and have to move from there, maybe during the season.

Many gyms and coaches use the age thing as sort of an easy way out. I guarantee 99% of gyms and coaches will not pass up an amazing gymnast no matter their age. That said they may pass up a kid who could do average in the lower JO levels. I'm amazed by what your gym said to you from a business standpoint. But ultimately the difference is the "Xcel track" is for gymnasts who don't have the physical abilities to reach level 10. It's not necessarily "easier" either - in some places it's super competitive. But the focus is on easier skills done perfectly rather than getting a yurchenko full for instance.

I'd be looking for another gym. My DD started team at the ripe old age of 8 and at her gym, the initial competition level was Bronze Xcel, and that's what she competed her first year. But she didn't have nearly the skill set you listed, and Bronze was where she belonged. Her second year she competed "new" level 3 and had a wonderful year. She was 9. I would not put up with a gym that relegated my child to the "minor leagues" based on some rigid age rule. As a business it is absolutely their right to make the rules they want. As a consumer it is my right to take my business elsewhere.

I am trying to understand how an 8 year old child can be too old for Level 4 when you have to be AT LEAST 7 to compete this level
My daughter was turned away from 2 gyms for being 7.5 and never having done pre-team. She's 10.5 now and getting ready to compete Level 8, so I'm glad I didn't listen to the first two. ;)

*Well, she wasn't "turned away" totally, but she was turned away from JO. That wasn't what she wanted, so we kept looking. I am glad we did!

I have heard of a gym close to us that has age limits for certain levels. I never checked into them, because I thought that was idiotic. I don't understanding how a business wouldn't want to have more students no matter their age or body type. I have seen some older (preteen-teen), bigger (heavy) girls competing at L4 and I think it is amazing. Granted, they will probably never make elite, but so what. The gym is helping them do something fun and that could be life changing for them. I do understand maybe limited space or coaching if there isn't enough and then putting limits on the size of classes.

Our gym is the same way. If you are not on the JO track by age 6 you go to xcel. However, xcel is still very competitive in our region. Kids in bronze compete a robhs on floor. At our gym they must have their kip to move to silver. The compete a bwo at silver and a robhsbt for silver. Our gym has the kids compete at the top of the skills allowed.

There is not a lot of movement, but occasionally there is some. Usually kids moving from JO to xcel. This year two of the bronze kids moved to JO. One is competing L4, and the other is planning to score out of 4 and compete 5.

I have worked at gyms that had specific arbitrary cut-offs like your and it was due to size constraints. Once the team got maxed out on ratios, the simple answer was to have a cut-off age and stick to it. This enabled the "a-team" to have first dibs on the best equipment/best coaches. It was a business decision that benefited the gym, even though it was not in the best interest of some of those kids. I have also worked at gyms that took the unhappy b-team kids from gyms with arbitrary age cut-offs, and turned them into competitors who beat kids from the very teams they left. Keep in mind, these were kids who were very talented, just didn't meet an age cut-off (because they didn't start gymnastics until elementary school). These were not kids who belonged on the "b-team" because of a lack of talent or potential. I don't know where your daughter fits. If she is talented but got a late start, try out at another gym who doesn't give up on slightly older kids and see where they would place her. If the talent and drive is there, she can "catch up."

Just get out. This gym is not going to be a good fit for your child. You have nothing to lose by saying "She has the drive to train JO and if you can't find a place for her, please help us find her a place at another gym." They may show you the door that very minute. But you will have lost nothing. This is not the gym for her. The only satisfaction you will get is five years from now when she has outlasted and/or outscored more than half the shiny tots they have put on their L3 team this year.

I would not take my dd to a gym that referred to any group as A or B team. I think that is an awful thing to say.

Wait, doesn't the TOPS program have an A camp and a B camp? Which I think are exactly as hierarchical as they sound, both for talent/skills and whether or not you have to pay (B camp pays, A does not). Hmm wonder where gyms like OP's got this idea????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back