Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Junior Olympic Qualifying to Nationals

ernestine

Proud Parent
Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Country
USA

wandrewsjr

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
The Regions are all over the map(ha ha). Region 1 age groups range in size from 14 to 31.

• Haha
Reactions: skschlag

Blackhawk

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2018
Country
USA
Hmmm, I might be mistaken, but when I look at level 10, I don’t see any group under 10 girls and most are closer to 15. Where are you getting an average of 9 girls from?

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
Aug 12, 2016
Country
USA
Hmmm, I might be mistaken, but when I look at level 10, I don’t see any group under 10 girls and most are closer to 15. Where are you getting an average of 9 girls from?
I know for sure the jr a group has 8 in it...

wandrewsjr

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
I know for sure the jr a group has 8 in it...
That helps explain why Region 1 Jr A has 31. Ironically Jr A is the biggest(31) and Jr B is the smallest(14). So some other Region must have a bursting Jr B group.

wandrewsjr

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
Region 4 has 155 level 10's registered, so that would be an average of 12(almost 13) and change per age group.

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
Aug 12, 2016
Country
USA
You are talking Region 4, level 10? My list shows 10 girls in that level, and yes that is the smallest of all of the sections.
I have a friend with a daughter in that group and she told me there were 8 in her group..

Blackhawk

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2018
Country
USA
I have a friend with a daughter in that group and she told me there were 8 in her group..
Well, I got my info from clicking on the link that you attached in your first post. If you click on your link, it will show you the actual numbers for each group.

Reactions: Seeker

wandrewsjr

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
Here some more numbers of size ranges of age groups I found in case you are interested. I like numbers.
R8 - 15 to 35*
R7 - 15 to 32
R6 - 9 to 23
R5 - 18 to 34
R4 - 9 to 17
R3 - can't find this year breakdown but usually similar to R1 & R5
R2 - can't find this year breakdown but usually around 2 to 9
R1 - 14 to 31
*R8 has a qualifying score to Regionals of 35 instead of 34 like all others, or they would have about 35 more level 10's, bringing their age groups an average of 3 bigger each

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
Aug 12, 2016
Country
USA
Well, I got my info from clicking on the link that you attached in your first post. If you click on your link, it will show you the actual numbers for each group.
I didn't post a link :) But i believe you! And really don't care all that much as i don't have a level 10 anyway! ha ha! just a level 9!

lovofu

Proud Parent
Jan 8, 2009
Des Moines Iowa
Country
USA
Well some would say that it being easier is unfair
why would it being "easier" be unfair? when they get to nationals they all compete in the same session with the same judges. It's an age old argument...Let's redraw regional lines so that X state or region has a better chance. What people forget is that in the states in Region IV, there is often only ONE option within a reasonable commute and in other regions, people can switch, they have options that most of us DO NOT have.

Gymmom0403

Proud Parent
Aug 31, 2016
Country
USA
R5 is 19-34 kids. Some of my daughters teammates are in the group with 34. She is in a group of 20. Unfortunately it’s the way the groups are made and we just have to deal with what we are given. Sure it’s easier to qualify in a group of 9 vs 34 but we know how this works and we stil play the game ‍♀