Parents Question About An Introduction To A New Coach/Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question and if this has already been asked/answered. I’ve been reading and learning a lot about the sport since very recently joining ChalkBucket. You’re have an amazing community!

I want to start off with a good rapport with a new coach/gym. My 7 year old DD will start at level 2 at the Y tomorrow (previously she was in rec at another gym). One of her motivations at the moment appears to be the idea of competing. When she was at her previous gym I didn’t know enough to ask or understand how the levels worked or any of the terminology. I really knew nothing and didn’t communicate with the coaches (I don’t think it was always the same instructor/coach). I was also never aware of a coach trying to contact me either. I recently got an invite in the mail from the previous gym inviting her to join level 2 but it was after we had already joined a new gym. There wasn’t a direct communication or feedback. (My understanding is that the parents of the other girls in her class/position all felt the same way and this group disbanded.)

I want to start off with a good rapport with a new coach/gym. Since I won’t ever be there to drop off/pick up (based on the current schedule), I thought I would send an email to introduce myself to her new coach and ask a few questions. Wondering if these questions come across okay? Other questions I should ask?

• What can/should we do at home? (strength/flexibility/skills)
  • Is it okay to use chalk at home? (for example: pull-ups & hanging leg raises)
  • What are her areas of weakness and what does she need to be able to do to get to the next level so she can compete.
  • I also plan to ask about open gym time (to practice at the gym possibly with coaches).
Thanks,

NY Dad

NY Dad -

I am going to be blunt, so be prepared. One dad to another - these questions, for Level 2, are going to make you sound like a CGD (Crazy Gym Dad), especially the one about chalk.

Allow me to quote from the USA Gymnastics definitions of the various Levels: "The Developmental Levels 1 through 3 may be used as a non-competitive and achievement-oriented program for use within a gym’s pre-team program, or they may be used as an introductory/recreational competitive program."

The early levels of the USAG JO system are focusing on the fundamentals and the basics and should be FUN. When home becomes nothing more than another place to "do gym", the young athlete can very quickly burn out. A parent's job is to parent, not to be another coach at home; these questions make it sound as if you are setting up a home regimen for her to continue the training started in the gym. My dd was a JO gymnast for 14 years and the sport became her passion making it to Level 10. She did not accomplish this with a dad, me, worrying about continuing her training at home. Back off and enjoy her time as a child.

You can establish a rapport with her coaches, but don't try and be an additional coach at home.

Good Luck.

Since you will not meet the coach in person, sending an e-mail is a great idea. The e-mail should state you are happy the gym invited your dd to participate in level 2. You dd loves gymnastics and is quite excited for this new opportunity. Even though you won't drop off pr pick up that you are available for the coach to contact you if necessary. Thank the coach in advance for teaching your child in this amazing sport.

And to answer your questions:

• What can/should we do at home? (strength/flexibility/skills)
Strength and flexibility practice won't hurt, but only do it if your child is asking to do it. Really. Having her do it just to make her better may lead to burn out and is so not worth it.
  • Is it okay to use chalk at home? (for example: pull-ups & hanging leg raises)
Chalk at home is okay, but I wouldn't have her be dong too many of the pull-ups and leg lifts. Again, at this age, you really want to leave them wanting more!
  • What are her areas of weakness and what does she need to be able to do to get to the next level so she can compete.
Give this one at least a year before asking. They will assess her. You can ask, after a few months, when they may see her as being ready to compete, but I wouldn't ask about her areas of weakness. For a child that age, that is a very fluid thing.
  • I also plan to ask about open gym time (to practice at the gym possibly with coaches).
Open gym is a great fun time for the kids to work on their own!

Reactions: sce
NY Dad -

I am going to be blunt, so be prepared. One dad to another - these questions, for Level 2, are going to make you sound like a CGD (Crazy Gym Dad), especially the one about chalk.

Allow me to quote from the USA Gymnastics definitions of the various Levels: "The Developmental Levels 1 through 3 may be used as a non-competitive and achievement-oriented program for use within a gym’s pre-team program, or they may be used as an introductory/recreational competitive program."

The early levels of the USAG JO system are focusing on the fundamentals and the basics and should be FUN. When home becomes nothing more than another place to "do gym", the young athlete can very quickly burn out. A parent's job is to parent, not to be another coach at home; these questions make it sound as if you are setting up a home regimen for her to continue the training started in the gym. My dd was a JO gymnast for 14 years and the sport became her passion making it to Level 10. She did not accomplish this with a dad, me, worrying about continuing her training at home. Back off and enjoy her time as a child.

You can establish a rapport with her coaches, but don't try and be an additional coach at home.

Good Luck.
This

our open gym is just that. an open play time. at our gym the coaches leave and there are staff to run and watch to make sure the kids are behaving. i'm going to guess at the Y, if there is open gym, it will be more along those lines. but you can go and check it our yourself. our friday night open gyms get a mix of team kids with kids just having fun and occasionally a kid from another team (they stick out like a sore thumb). usually the team girls, having just finished practice, just want to run around and let off steam.
last week though, a mom and her daughter were there (not a team kid) and the poor little girl was in tears from her mom's ordering her onto beam for 30 minutes and then proceeding to drill her in skills she didn't have. she was 5 or 6 and really just wanted to go play. it was also painful to watch and a good reminder of what i never want to do! at some point they went to bars and the mom was trying to coach her. don't be that mom! :)

Introducing yourself is a great idea, give the coach your email and phone number is he/she needs to reach you.......other than that, I would keep the communicating to a minimum.......let the coach contact you unless there is a very important reason......
Coaches favorite parents are the ones who are supportive , hardly are around, don't ask too many questions, and whose kids are happy to be in the gym (i.e. Not training at home)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back