WAG Question about Canadian Gymnastics....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
We had our general meeting yesterday to review the training days and what meets are on the agenda for our girls in the National program.

There are a few girls who competed Pre-Novice last year and now have to move up to Novice this year because of age. It was mentioned that they may have to compete P5 if the skills are not there.

My questions is are you allowed to bounce back and forth between the two programs? Also are there required skills for Novice or what skills will they need to be able to compete? How does that compare with the skills in P5?

Not that I have to worry yet; my DD still has two years before moving to Novice, but I do like to know what is coming in the road ahead when possible.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have not competed say national novice in a sanctioned event in that year that you can move to P5 for example. I have known girls that were national one year and moved down to P3 the next because it got to hard and they just wanted to win (totally unethical to me). If they wanted they could technically go and compete P1 if they haven't competed national or any higher provincial stream yet that year.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have not competed say national novice in a sanctioned event in that year that you can move to P5 for example. I have known girls that were national one year and moved down to P3 the next because it got to hard and they just wanted to win (totally unethical to me). If they wanted they could technically go and compete P1 if they haven't competed national or any higher provincial stream yet that year.

That seems quite unfair as I would think even the hours of training up to that point would make it like trying to compare apples to oranges. How can someone who trains 25 hours a week not think they should fair better than someone who only trains 10 hours a week?

Are there no rules about how many hours you train as to what level you can compete? I thought there was, but may have read that ages ago!

No rules about number of hours, or coach/gymnast ratio, just impossible to police.

Pre novice national is considered a national level.

I am not at home right now, but if you look on the gym Canada website you can find the CPP document, in this you will find the requirement for P5. However as Ontario uses a 10 level system I find it odd that P5 would be mentioned unless they are looking specifically at out of Province meets. Though of course Easterns use the CPP and not the Ontario system, so coaches are obliged to make sure routines meet the standards for both programmes.

P5 is the highest level in the Provincial system, slightly less demanding than novice national.

As to dropping back levels, as long as it doesn't happen during the season there is no issue. Unfair sometimes, otherwise due to a change in family circumstances or injury.

In Quebec the regional gymnasts, P1 and two levels created between it and P2, cannot train more than 9 hours a week no matter what. Though we do know some gyms find sneaky ways around this with girls training 25 hours a week in summer camp that doesn't get checked. Lots of unfair goes on even with regulations in place.

Pre novice national is considered a national level.

I am not at home right now, but if you look on the gym Canada website you can find the CPP document, in this you will find the requirement for P5. However as Ontario uses a 10 level system I find it odd that P5 would be mentioned unless they are looking specifically at out of Province meets.

P5 is the highest level in the Provincial system, slightly less demanding than novice national.

As to dropping back levels, as long as it doesn't happen during the season there is no issue. Unfair sometimes, otherwise due to a change in family circumstances or injury.

Thanks Bog,

I did find the P5 requirements, but I am having a hard time finding the National Novice ones....

Is it that at that point in National Novice they can pretty much include anything they are capable of? That is where my confusion is as I don't see anything about "must have" requirements that they are using to determine the outcome for girls in this position.

It seems that if you go into pre novice at 10yo when you only have one year to compete that unless your up-training has been quite intensive that you most likely would have to go back to Provincial and build your skills before going National Novice. Is there any age requirements for National Novice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back