Question about Concussion?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To make a long story short, at gymnastics on Thursday I was accidentally kicked in the head (really hard:(), and I started getting dizzy and a really bad headache. I went to the nurse's office at my school on Friday, told that I most likely had a concussion. My mom called the doctor's office, but they had already closed for the weekend. She was able to find out that you can have the symptoms for 7-10 days!!!!:eek: Anyway, I am still getting dizzy and headaches, but I have gymnastics tomorrow and a meet this coming weekend. I really need to practice, but I don't know what I can and cannot do. Have any of you had a concussion before? What precautions should I take? Thank you for all of your comments. Oh, if it helps I'm a L6.:p

I know you're not doctors or anything, I just was wondering if any of you have gone through anything similar. Thanks again.:)

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but if you got kicked on Thursday and are still having problems you should definitely see a professional before you do any more workouts or compete. Your health is very important. I am a mother to a gymnast and I watch the gymnasts in our gym who can't compete because of injuries. You could possibly hurt yourself further by continuing to practice.

I hope you feel better soon and are able to return to full workouts quickly!!

Yes, definetly take precautions. We just learned the hard way, my friend was out of gymnastics for a while due to back pain, and just started getting back into practice. The other day she went snowboarding with some of the guys from my school, and they dared her to jump off a cliff [sound like a bad idea huh?]. She was wearing a helmet, but when she fell got pretty dizzy. She ignored it for a few days. Finally she was feeling really bad, and went to the doctor. She was rushed to the E.R. and basically because she waited so long, had some brain swelling. She now remembers nothing. She doesn't know who anyone is, but is starting to remember what a watch is, who her best friend is, etc. She is out of gym for a few months.

I bet yours is nowhere as near bad, but she continued doing things, and it defitnetly made it worse. Good luck!

To make a long story short, at gymnastics on Thursday I was accidentally kicked in the head (really hard:(), and I started getting dizzy and a really bad headache. I went to the nurse's office at my school on Friday, told that I most likely had a concussion. My mom called the doctor's office, but they had already closed for the weekend. She was able to find out that you can have the symptoms for 7-10 days!!!!:eek: Anyway, I am still getting dizzy and headaches, but I have gymnastics tomorrow and a meet this coming weekend. I really need to practice, but I don't know what I can and cannot do. Have any of you had a concussion before? What precautions should I take? Thank you for all of your comments. Oh, if it helps I'm a L6.:p

Go to the doctor and do EXACTLY what they tell you.

Your brain is bruised, and it can slosh around in your head and get more bruised (and swollen) and that can cause you permanant problems. You only get one brain. Taking a few days off is better for you than messing around, until you know for sure...ESPECIALLY since you're still having problems.

If you're dizzy, on a beam is the LAST place you want to be, and if you hit your head again it could be way worse.

(disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but someone who's had a couple moderate head injuries)

Wow, that is awful. If its really seriously bad and you can't get an appointment soon then maybe its worth going to the ER? I don't really know, but brain injuries are definitely not something to mess with.

As others have said, I would not work out. There will be other workouts and meets, but there might not be if you get really hurt because you fell off the apparatus.

Thank you all for your concern. I am definately going to go to the doctor's ASAP, and probably won't be doing much (if anything) at practice tomorrow.

Typically after I've had a concussion, I've been fine in 1-3 days as rest and doing nothing were prescribed and I have never had a head injury and kept on going.

Take tommorow off if you can. If not come in ( so long as you feel better ) and tell your coach about it and be mindful to be wary of it immediately. As a coach, I'd rather they'd stay home and relax but I myself have been back into gym or activity the next day so long as I was being mindful.

As a RN I can tell you that rest and something for the headache is about the only treatment for a concussion. No gym until the dizziness and headaches go away and then start back slowly. Activities to avoid now are bending over and standing up quickly, any jumping/running/pounding(yup---gymnastics). I know this may be hard to accept, but if you take care of yourself now, you'll be back at your normal activiites much faster than pushing it.

Just an update: I had practice from 5-8. I did some things, but if it hurt at all, I stopped immediately. I'm so glad that my coaches are really good if you have an injury, they are very good to make sure that you don't do anything that hurts (especially for head/neck injuries). So anyway, I couldn't do most things, but I'm glad I went anyway. Thank you all for all of your advice.

Ok, so I'm stuck at home today because my mom finally got in touch with the doctor and said I needed to rest. (yick) So I'm hoping that I'll be better by tomorrow and I'll be able to do everyting at gymnastics.

Update:

I'm skipping practice today to hopefully get some more rest:(. If I could, I would probably skip the meet this weekend because it doesn't seem to be getting better, I just don't want to feel like I'm letting anyone down (even though I have already qualified for states). Especially because my mom has already paid for the meet.:( Well, I have practice again tomorrow and there is no way I'm missing another practice, so I'll have at least one practice before the meet. Thanks for listening, and I'll keep you updated.

Yet another update

Ok, so I went to the doctor's today, and she said no meet this weekend:(, and no practice until monday. Even then I can't leave the ground:(! On wednesday I can start working floor again, and if that goes okay I will be able to start my other events again. Uhhh, this is going to be hard! I just hope I will be ready in time for sectionals.

P.S. Am I just posting this for myself? Because no one else has posted on this thread in a while.:p

Last edited:
It is very important that you follow your MD's instructions and REST. I've been doing some reading on concussions and one of the main problems is re-injury within a short period of time.

It would be very dangerous for you to participate and possibly re-injure yourself within the next few weeks. Last fall (I think) there was a big article in the NY Times about kids having concussions and continuing to participate without healing. A second injury, (within a short time)--even one not as severe as the first--is what can cause longer term damage.

Don't worry about the meet or the meet fees...you only get one brain!! Rest up!!!:):):):)

Actually, if you do a search of "concussions in youth sports" you will find lots of information on the importance of rest.

A slogan that is popular is "better to miss one game (or in this case, meet) than a whole season!"

I'm sure that you'll recover nicely after a rest!!:)

Hate to play your cyber mom, but I will. You probably didn't help yourself trying to go back for that 1 practice so soon. Rest and NO jumping type activities are really the only cure.

So, listen to you doctor and your real mom and take it easy for the next 3 days. Then really pay attention to getting any headaches, nausea or dizziness once you go back to the gym. Best wishes for getting better fast!!!!

Hey - its your brain - pretty complex piece of machinery, too! Give it some time to heal properly. It is not possible to see what it is actually doing in there but just imagine a bruise on your leg and how long that takes to go away completely. Get lots of rest, drink lots of water and watch some chic flicks - you've earned a bit of time off!

and.... let us know how you're doing because we all care.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am definitely taking it easy until Monday, even if it's killing me to not go to gymnastics:p. But I know my coaches won't let me do anything that hurts or makes me dizzy or anything, so I should be fine. Again, thanks for all of your comments, and I'll keep you updated.

Update

Ok, so I had practice today after being off for 1 week. I did mainly dance-through type things, only low bar on UB, and no vault. I was suprised at how well it went:p, and am very hopeful for wednesday that I can get back into the swing of things:thumbsup:. Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions, and I will post my (hopefully) last update on Wednesday after practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back