Parents Question About Gymnastic Waivers/Contracts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

margaery

Proud Parent
Hi,

I am in the process of reading through our waiver for the year. Has anyone ever had a waiver that stated that athlete(s) would/could experience anxiety and other mental health problems from our sport? I don't remember seeing this last season. Wondering if it's because of COVID or because of what is happening in the gymnastic work right now.

no, and I would really question why I was asked to sign a waiver like that! Has the coach or gym been sued for mental anguish and the cost of therapy for kids? Red flag to me.....not saying it's not legit, but I would seriously reconsider my kid attending there

no, and I would really question why I was asked to sign a waiver like that! Has the coach or gym been sued for mental anguish and the cost of therapy for kids? Red flag to me.....not saying it's not legit, but I would seriously reconsider my kid attending there

That was my thought as well. We haven't heard anything. My concern is that should something negative occur would we be able to speak out about it and does this section of the waiver prevent reporting and the coaches/program being held liable when abuse is found.

First question the gym as to why it is there. If he answer isn't satisfactory, you can leave. If you do choose to stay, I say it is "line item veto" time ... cross out the parts you do not agree to, initial the areas, put a note at the bottom explaining that you do not "hold harmless" the gym if they cause mental anguish, etc. through their inappropriate actions/ words. Than sign and make a copy before turning it in.

First question the gym as to why it is there. If he answer isn't satisfactory, you can leave. If you do choose to stay, I say it is "line item veto" time ... cross out the parts you do not agree to, initial the areas, put a note at the bottom explaining that you do not "hold harmless" the gym if they cause mental anguish, etc. through their inappropriate actions/ words. Than sign and make a copy before turning it in.

Thank you. This is great advice. I hadn't thought of being able to make amendments to the document. We will be contacting the gym asap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back