Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question about judging favoritism?

Coachnoname

Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Judge
Fan
Jul 12, 2018
Country
Australia
I have been this judge in the past where we have allowed a child to redo the routine for her confidence but we didn’t judge the second routine. The first routine was the one that score counted and what was used for presentations but allowed to gymnast to have confidence back in herself. Could this have been what happened??

Reactions: ldw4mlo

aerials

Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 30, 2013
Ohio
Country
USA
Oh my...this is one meet...and your daughter got 1st AA. I really don't understand what the issue is. Are you trying to call out the judge? Even is she did something favorable to the other girl, it would up to your coach to do something about it not you.

Gymmom0403

Proud Parent
Aug 31, 2016
Country
USA
At regionals (level 10) the lady running the music turned my kids music off before it was over — she still had her last pass and some final dancy stuff. Her music kinda hit a climax and the kinda paused before it continued. The lady apologized and felt bad but what could we do about it. Things happen. Was my kid frustrated - yes. Did she dwell on it - nope.

Reactions: GymMamaX3

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Just to reiterate why you don't want a reputation as a crazy parent: this is an actual conversation that has occurred at a gym I've coached at:

"Is X ready to move up next season?"
"X is ready, but her parents go off the rails when she doesn't score as high as they think she should."
"Oof, I don't wanna deal with that. We'll keep her back at a lower level, then. She'll score high and do well at meets, and probably be bored enough to quit after a season."

I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly.