Parents Question about judging favoritism?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been this judge in the past where we have allowed a child to redo the routine for her confidence but we didn’t judge the second routine. The first routine was the one that score counted and what was used for presentations but allowed to gymnast to have confidence back in herself. Could this have been what happened??

Oh my...this is one meet...and your daughter got 1st AA. I really don't understand what the issue is. Are you trying to call out the judge? Even is she did something favorable to the other girl, it would up to your coach to do something about it not you.

At regionals (level 10) the lady running the music turned my kids music off before it was over — she still had her last pass and some final dancy stuff. Her music kinda hit a climax and the kinda paused before it continued. The lady apologized and felt bad but what could we do about it. Things happen. Was my kid frustrated - yes. Did she dwell on it - nope.

Just to reiterate why you don't want a reputation as a crazy parent: this is an actual conversation that has occurred at a gym I've coached at:

"Is X ready to move up next season?"
"X is ready, but her parents go off the rails when she doesn't score as high as they think she should."
"Oof, I don't wanna deal with that. We'll keep her back at a lower level, then. She'll score high and do well at meets, and probably be bored enough to quit after a season."

I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly.

This happened to my daughter at Level 8 regionals, several years ago. Her music stopped for a few seconds, came back on for a couple seconds and then stopped completely. She pretty much performed her routine without music and music coming on and off threw her rhythm out. The audience helped out by clapping to keep the rhythm going. Her HC asked for a redo and was granted one. Well, like your story, my daughter did so much better the second time and ended up winning floor.

As stated by several posters above, the coach has to ask for a redo. Before my daughter was granted one, they made sure the music mishap was due to the meet’s mishandling and not a defect in the music provided. Also, keep in mind if your daughter’s coach does not think your daughter can do better, why would she risk it? Your daughter could make a mistake in her second routine that could drive her score lower. My daughter’s coach was told my daughter got a good score but she took the gamble and it paid off. But it certainly had risks.

One other time, at our home gym, at my daughter’s first Level 7 meet, she was robbed of being 2nd all around because of a computer calculation error. The coaches came to me the Monday after the meet to tell me. I wished my daughter got that acknowledgement but when I told her, it didn’t seem to matter. She learned her first floor routine 4 days before the meet. So she was just happy to pull a 4th AA placement.

The meet is over. By the next meet, whatever win or loss your daughter had would be forgotten. Time to think of the next meet.

Please- As a former athlete myself, do NOT confront the judges or make a scene. I understand your frustration, but chances are your daughter will be the one suffering. I played soccer, softball, lacrosse, and ice hockey as a kid and every time a parent went off to the coach, the kid was punished. Whether it be getting less playing time or being kicked off of the team, the children always end up suffering more than the parents. Your daughter will be talked about amongst coaches and in the future will likely not be treated as well as the other girls. As of right now, you are walking on thin ice. Contacting the gym will only make things worse. This is only a children's gymnastics meet, not the olympic trials. You do not want to be labeled as the "Crazy Parent" who makes a scene every time things don't work out in their Childs favor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back