Parents Question about Leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom67

Proud Parent
Judge
I have a question about leos. I have a friend who is wanting to start a business making them, and she is wanting to fully line all her leos. None of my DD's leos are lined at all, and since I have yet to see even one company who puts a lining in them, I'm thinking there must be a reason for that. My concerns are that 1) The extra layer will make it too hot, and 2) That the two fabrics might slide against each other and throw the girls off by somehow making them slip a little. She is insistent that the reason companies don't line them is most likely for cost cutting reasons, but I thought I would ask here.

I make Leo's, and wouldn't line them for the reasons you say.

she is sort of right though, as it just wouldn't be cost efficient. The main cost with making Leo's is the personnel hours- the fabric itself might only cost $20, it's the 3 hours of a seamstresses time. Adding a lining will add another 30 mins/ hour on to her total making time, so it will cut her hourly rate significantly. All to add something that isn't really necessary.

She has to consider her client base too. I wouldn't buy lined Leo's and I doubt there's any demand for it. Like you say it's an extra layer to get in the way so why bother. Most spandex is thick enough not to need it for modesty..

A couple of our GK leos are lined. Sometimes my daughter wears them for morning practices in the winter to stay a little warmer, but otherwise she gets hot in them.

I don't line my leos, generally lining in swimsuits etc is for "modesty" reasons , the only time I would consider it is with a very light fabric, for an older client.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I'm struggling to imagine what the advantage would be and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for lining. I've just looked daughter's (many, sigh!) leos. About half are Milano, the rest are GK, Adidas, Christian Moreau and Zone. Only one of the them is lined and that's a white long sleeved competition leo, which is lined at the front. If it's cold she wears long sleeves or velour. If not they want to be thin and breathable.

DD's competition leo is white. The girls all wear an undersuit of beige spandex under them. Maybe your friend could make those to sell to anyone who feels they would like a "lining" to the suits.

Thank you so much, everyone! I'll pass the feedback on to her. I'm glad I'm not the only one who just doesn't feel it's necessary most of the time.

I actually can see a use for the lining... My DDs HATE the seams from where the different fabrics are sewn together. So for kids with some sensory issues, it could have a benefit.

I actually can see a use for the lining... My DDs HATE the seams from where the different fabrics are sewn together. So for kids with some sensory issues, it could have a benefit.

Agreed. My DD has sensory issues and seams bug her as well. So do Leo's with keyhole backs or openings on the back of any kind.

I make leos and I will line leos that need it - white, pastel colors (with no to minimal foil), silver leotards or the occasional print that doesn't seem to have enough weight behind it. This is purely for modesty reasons. It definitely adds time to the creation process and can be cumbersome as I've found the lining to shift when working with appliques and peicing if I'm not really careful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back