Parents Question about moving between levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2monkeys

Proud Parent
if a gymnast competes 5 once and does not score out, then moves to a new gym where they want her to do 4 again, can you move back down after competing 5? Thanks.

I *think* she competed in a state championship at a certain level, then she cannot move down a level the following season.

In our state,there is an official "drop down" date. Gymnasts may drop to a lower level at any point before this date ( a couple of months before state). The stated reason is to not penalize the gymnast for trying the harder level.
I assume other states would have a similar policy.

I was under the impression that up to level 6, there is mobility, even after competing at State. Check the rule book, but that is what it sounds like when I read it....sorry...lame at tech...no idea how to post it here...

I was under the impression that up to level 6, there is mobility, even after competing at State. Check the rule book, but that is what it sounds like when I read it....sorry...lame at tech...no idea how to post it here...

Nope.

USAG Rules and Policies, page 78, paragraph D.3 "Once an athlete competes in the State Championships, she is not allowed to drop back." There are exceptions, but changing gyms is not one.

Under this set of circumstances, yes, she can compete level 4. The drop back date in a season refers to qualifying to state at the lower level in that particular season. Let's say the drop back date for level 4/5 is November 1st in their state and she competed level 5 yesterday. She can't drop back to level 4 for purposes of competing in the state meet scheduled for November 5, but she can go back to competing level 4 in other USAG invitationals and qualify for the level 4 state meet next year (provided she doesn't again compete level 5 before the drop back date).

I just picked those dates out of thin air obviously to make the point, the drop back date isn't for months in states that have spring compulsory seasons. I assume the OP is in one of those states because fall compulsory seasons are wrapping up now. So most likely she can do her season of level 4 and states too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back