Parents Question about repeating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JumpingQueen

Proud Parent
Hello again! Have any of your gymnasts been on the cusp between two levels and had to repeat in compulsories? What happens to all their next level skills they learned but won’t be using?

Repeating is quite common, my DD repeated a level because she just wasn't ready on bars for anything beyond JO4, and uptrained throughout the year getting better on old and new skills the entire time.

Last year, at the end of the season, all the Level 3s worked on Level 4 skills ... even if we knew they would be repeating.
The Level 4s trained for Level 5.
We had some repeat Level 3 and Level 4. The Level 3 repeaters scored better this year and were able to continue training Level 4 skills (except vault) once they competed their assignments on each event. The repeating level 4s often worked with Level 5s (we only had 3 level 5s and 10 level 4s). They got the opportunity to work on the Level 5 skills whenever there was a lull between meets.

The repeaters are now ready to move on and are more secure in their skills.

My daughter didn’t repeat but she started off in xcel and competed bronze and silver then decided she wanted to compete compulsories. At first we (coaches and I) thought she would compete 4 until we saw how weak her bars were so she had to compete level 3 instead. Depending on how you look at it some would say that is repeating but in the long run she perfected the little things she struggled with at first.

My daughter was on the borderline between L3 and L4 and that year they decided to push her and her teammates to L4 even though they were a little behind. The advantage was that she continued to progress and she was much happier working the harder routines and being challenged. The downside is that she had a pretty weak year in terms of podium placement because she was a bit behind from the start and in L4 and L5 you get a lot of girls repeating and so the kids are competing against girls in their second year of a level. Because of the weak L4 season, she repeated L4 and she had a much stronger year. Her bars improved tremendously and by the time she was ready to go to L5, she was much more ready to work the tougher skills. Ideally, the kids should uptrain while they are in a level so that they can be more ready to move when the time comes. Looking back, she would have been very frustrated repeating L3 because she was ready to do more. The year she repeated L4, she wanted to repeat. She was not ready at all to progress to L5 that year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back