Parents Question about states and changing levels in a season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
I'm mostly curious at this point, if a gymnast moves up a level midseason and qualified for the state competition at the first level but not second one, would he or she be able to go and compete at the first level? Does it vary by state? I'm thinking of a scenario where the gymnast had never competed either level before. Thanks!

Our state has a declaration date - it's usually about 1-2 months before states - it would be based on what level she declared herself that date. In our state, if she declared herself the lower level, she could certainly compete that lower level at states (even if she competed multiple meets at the higher one), but if she declared herself the higher level and didn't qualify at the higher level I think she's out of luck.

There are a couple gyms in my area that do that - qualify and declare lower level, then spend the later part of the season testing the waters at the higher level - then they show up and do really well at states at the lower level.

In our state, there is a drop back date and if you compete the higher level after that date, you cannot compete State at the lower level.

Thank you both for answering. It sounds like it varies by state. Anyone know how to find the information for a specific state?

I agree with checking your state's web page. Ours spells it out pretty clearly. We don't have sectionals in my state and I looked it up and the declaration date is 2 weeks before the state meet. Last season, there was a girl that competed in my dd's age group as a level 4 in early October and won first place. We didn't see her the rest of the season, but I looked her up on mymeetscores and saw that a month later she competed at a level 5 meet and won first place with a 38.125. We were surprised to see her at the level 4 state meet less than a month later again in my dd's age group, but obviously it was allowed. She ended up competing a meet at 6 right after the level 4 state meet and then competed level 7 right after.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back