Question about the JO program in Ontario and "teams"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
A thread in the WAG section got me thinking. All competitions in the USA have the team portion, and i was wondering if anyone knows if that is going to be incorporated into the qualifiers this year?

I know the old Invitational competitions sometimes had them, but now that there will be a level 3-5 provincials I wonder if it will continue?

This was just released by Gymnastics Ontario. It has some info on team awards.

http://www.gymnasticsontario.ca/wp-....iii-OCP-Level-6-10-National-July-31-2015.pdf
Thank you so much!

I would still like to know what happens to girls who try to make Novice HP and fail. Will they have to then do Level 9 qualifiers to make Provincials? Because Elite Canada is pretty late in the year. So why not just let all 11-12 year old girls try that route and no one does qualifiers, they just automatically go to provincials?

Isn't Elite Screening November 13? That would give those girls who don't qualify for HP plenty of time to fit in 2or 3 qualifiers before provincials. The thing is, it's unlikely there will be more than 32 girls in the level 9 age 10-12 category anyway. So to make it to Provincials there would be no pressure to get a certain score but simply to complete the qualifiers.

That GO document is pretty murky about the age categories though. One table for the Ontario qualifiers/provincials has the categories broken down by year (age 10, age 11, age 12 etc.) but then the Eastern Championships table has the old age categories (ages 10/11, ages 12/13 etc.) with the top four from provincials moving on to easterns. Does that mean that you could in theory be the age 12 level 8 champ at provincials but not go to easterns because there are four 13 year old level 8s with higher scores? Not to mention the level 9 and 10 age categories where you can qualify to nationals OR easterns. It all seems a little confusing!

Isn't Elite Screening November 13? That would give those girls who don't qualify for HP plenty of time to fit in 2or 3 qualifiers before provincials. The thing is, it's unlikely there will be more than 32 girls in the level 9 age 10-12 category anyway. So to make it to Provincials there would be no pressure to get a certain score but simply to complete the qualifiers.

That GO document is pretty murky about the age categories though. One table for the Ontario qualifiers/provincials has the categories broken down by year (age 10, age 11, age 12 etc.) but then the Eastern Championships table has the old age categories (ages 10/11, ages 12/13 etc.) with the top four from provincials moving on to easterns. Does that mean that you could in theory be the age 12 level 8 champ at provincials but not go to easterns because there are four 13 year old level 8s with higher scores? Not to mention the level 9 and 10 age categories where you can qualify to nationals OR easterns. It all seems a little confusing!

Making it to Elite Canada doesn't make you HP. You have to score a certain score AT Elite Canada to get HP status. The screenings are in November and December but the actual competition was in February last year.

I was hoping to see the Gymnastics Canada documents that were supposed to come out July 24 and tomorrow. Even when I do it doesn't mean i will understand any better, lol.

Yeah that wouldn't work. I just assumed that they would change it to requiring a certain score at screening to be deemed HP and then only HP get to go to Elite Canada. But once again, it's all pure speculation and everything will be clear as mud once they issue the documents!

I have the same question this year for my dd. What happens to her if she doesn't make hp at Elite which is in February 2017. Does she go level 9 at provincials without competing at any qualifiers? Does she go to Nationals? So confusing. Any insight will be helpful!

I have the same question this year for my dd. What happens to her if she doesn't make hp at Elite which is in February 2017. Does she go level 9 at provincials without competing at any qualifiers? Does she go to Nationals? So confusing. Any insight will be helpful!
I read this in a Gymnastic Ontario document recently, might be helpful:
"Gymnasts who do not make HP status (as per GCG) are considered Level 10 gymnasts . If those gymnasts wish to attend Ontario Championships they will be required to qualify by attending one additional qualifier (follow the petition process) to get a score to be eligible to petition into Ontario Championships.
http://www.gymnasticsontario.ca/wp-...-Competitive-Program-OCP-September-6-2016.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back