Question about TOPS scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Here are my daughters TOPS scores at her best tops meet. Just wondering if you guys can help me convert it to a guessimate of points?

RLSplit 12
LL split 14
Bridge 5
Leg lifts 20
Cast to handstand 10
Vertical jump 13.5
Press 5
handstand hold 30 (with 3 faults)
run 3.75
rope climb 2.88

Also anyone know when the official break downs will come out?Thanks a bunch!!!

I am going to try to help you since I was in your position once. The first time my DD tested for TOPS I was so anxious to find out. So I understand your situation. Keep in mind, I will only be guessing on what your DD will score on those tests that are going to be scored on a curve. I am assuming from your scores your DD is 7 or 8 years old. I am also basing the scores on last years averages. So since the curve is based on the pool of gymnasts, the averages and cut offs may be very different from last years. Here goes.

Split 13
Bridge 5
Leg lifts 10
Cast to handstand 10
Vertical jump 5 or 6
Press 5 (this could very well be a 10. I am not sure how to score this since the 8 yo national best is a 5. I did not think this was scored on a curve.)
Handstand hold (if she had 3 faults, she would have 2 seconds deducted for each fault, making her handstand hold score 24 seconds) I believe her age group can only hold a handstand for a maximum of 30 secpnds. So her deductions would have to come out of a maximum of 30 seconds.) I'd still give her an 8.
Sprint 9, possibly a 10
Rope climb 9

Total - 75 GREAT SCORE!!!

Cut-offs for 8 year olds last year is 75. She has a great chance of making it to national testing. If her press to handstand score is a 10 and not a 5, she would be in the 80 range. The likelihood of making it to national testing is extremely high.

I based the scores for an 8 year old. If your DD is a 7 yo, the scores would be different.There was another post on TOPS and it indicated that the results may not be emailed to the coaches until after Visa Championships, which is from Aug 17 to 20th. I think. Goodluck to your DD. Looks real good!

Thank you so much! She is in the 8 year old range.

I also am not sure about the pressers, I just know that she did the max of 5.

Thanks again,

Thank you so much! She is in the 8 year old range.

I also am not sure about the pressers, I just know that she did the max of 5.

Thanks again,

I did check and indeed the max is 5. So, she must have gotten a 10 on that test, making her total around 80! That is wonderful!! :)

Where is she on her skills?

I am not sure of all the different skills but am pretty sure she is pretty good at most of them. Her coach has been working with her for awhile on them and she just got done doing the invitational tops camp at the Ranch last week. She scored first place in the 8 year old division on physical ablities there too.

I saw on someone elses post that it said they email the coach's first then release the info to the public do you know where its released at? I also read somewhere that the coaches have to email and ask for the results?? THanks again! still anxiously waiting :)

I saw on someone elses post that it said they email the coach's first then release the info to the public do you know where its released at? I also read somewhere that the coaches have to email and ask for the results?? THanks again! still anxiously waiting :)
They post the qualifiers on the USAG website below::: USA Gymnastics :: Home Page :: the results first come out, it will be listed in the "New Information" link. Once the teams have been formed and camp has been completed, they will be listed on the "History" link. For ANY and all updates on Tops, just click the New Information link. Surf that website. It has a wealth of information. Last year, my DD's coach informed us of the results around August 18. We were out of town. She called me on my cell..I am not sure about procedure on how the coaches get the results. I always thought if a gymnast makes it, the coaches are sent an email. If e gymnast does not make it, the coaches don't get an email but would have to send an email to get the scores.

They post the qualifiers on the USAG website below::: USA Gymnastics :: Home Page :: the results first come out, it will be listed in the "New Information" link. Once the teams have been formed and camp has been completed, they will be listed on the "History" link. For ANY and all updates on Tops, just click the New Information link. Surf that website. It has a wealth of information. Last year, my DD's coach informed us of the results around August 18. We were out of town. She called me on my cell..I am not sure about procedure on how the coaches get the results. I always thought if a gymnast makes it, the coaches are sent an email. If e gymnast does not make it, the coaches don't get an email but would have to send an email to get the scores.

Last year our coach did not immediately get the results and our coach had to send an email to find out and YES she made it to National TOPS testing last year. So overall I think release dates and timing is not consistent..... Even though she made it last year and qualified for the B camp, we are also anxiously waiting for the results. Good luck.

Hi everyone!

Like all of the other TOPs parents, I'm anxiously awaiting for the results to see how my DD did this year. She's 8, testing as a 9yo (her bday is in November).

I think her first test was her best overall. While she improved on some things on the other two tests, she didn't do as well on others. Could you please provide me with your input on how you think she did and if you think she'll qualify?

Thanks a bunch!

Bridge - 5
Splits - 14/13
Sprint - 3.53 sec
Leg Lifts - 20
Press - 10
Rope - 12.03 sec (14.03 w/faults)
Handstand - 60 sec (48 w/faults)
Cast - 9
Vertical - 17.5 inches

So, gymcoach34, do you have any idea when the results will be out and/or how are they typically released to the coaches?

No, I have not heard anything at all about results. I'm wondering if the numbers are way down everywhere, or just in my region. At both test I was at (mine and another test) there were about 1/2 the numbers of athletes that there usually are.

When we submit results from each state test to the Natl. Office- we include the email that the coaches gave us. The coaches are then emailed their club's results when they have been processed. If the coach gives no or the wrong email, its posted on the TOPs website for the coahes to conatct Gary Warren so he can then send their results.

I'm assuming they will not be sent until the week afterUSA Championships (next week).

There were a lot less girls this year at the three tests we went to as well.. Not sure why it was so much less though? Ok so how do they figure out how to put the numbers of the run,jump,rop etc into a numerical value to come up with the score?

maybe the economy has meant less people paying out to test 'just for experience' and only those going who have a decent chance of national testing. Also maybe less people can afford the Tops training.

Our gym did two testings. There was only one other team at the first testing and two other teams at the second. It does seem the numbers are significantly down. Gymcoach34, do you think the cut off scores may go significantly down as well so that they'd get enough girls to nationald? The USAG website indicates that they get the top 280 girls who test regionally to go to the national testing. You they'd dip down to scores in the 50's

They usually release the number of girls who tested each year - it will be interesting to see how much it was down. They might lower the scores to go to national testing to fill it up and make it financially viable but I dont think they will drop the scores much for the actual camps in December. Sounds like this might have been the year to test!

I think dropping the 11 year olds is what made the numbers go down. After everything is put in the computer w the formulas etc...they look for the place where there is a gap in the scores and thats where they draw the line. For example, if there are 100 kids that are in the 75-90 range, then the next group is at 72, they would draw the line at the 75 and thats where the cut off score is. Does that make sense?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back