Parents Question from a new L2 parent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD did L2 last year on a "rec" team. 34-35 AA was pretty typical for the high scorers, but there was one team who had girls waaaay ahead of any others. I mean tight form, perfect back handsprings (which I guess they were able to add since it was rec). Nobody else placed if they showed up. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about privates either. The only time I got my DD privates was when she was new to BHS and it looked terrifying. I thought it was worth it to have a coach fix that before bad habits set in.

1. She is still very young.
2. It's only level 2.
3. Her scores are actually pretty good.

I wouldn't do privates, honestly. Save them for later and bigger skills! I wouldn't give a second thought to assessing her talent level at this age/level. I really can't stand the "can't move up unless you get a xx. AA score." And yes, let her try other activities now, because if she stays in gymnastics, she won't be able to try later! My DD did 9 hours at old L4, so that seems a little high for L2, but now it seems like so little compared to what she's doing now! Also, even if she does repeat, it's not the end of the world because she IS still so young. DD has a teammate who's a couple of years younger. They were in old and new 4 together, but the younger girl repeated new 4 for a couple of reasons. She just got 1st AA at new 5. With maturity, her skills, form, and attention to detail will likely improve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back