Question from my daughter about optional routine changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
So my daughter has heard that they are changing the compulsary routines next year. She will likely be level 7 then so it won't effect her, but she was wondering if there were going to be changes for the optional levels as well. I didn't know, but I figured someone here would know for sure. Thanks!

The changes take place aug. 2013 so it should not matter for next year. But they are adding another optional level so the next year things are gonna be a little different. Not everything is set in stone for the optionals yet. But here are the changes so far.
9 and 10 will be the same. The new 8 will be in between the current 8 and 9. The new 7 will be like the current 8(not sure about vaults), and the new 6 will be between the current 6 and 7 will be optional and you may not have to compete it. My dd's club is sticking everyone who just competed level 5 in X-CEL(PREP-OP) for next season to help with the transition. I know of another club that is doing the same too. Still trying to get my dd through this season so 2 seasons from now not so much on my mind.

My dd will be a L7 in 2013 as well. The question is whether dd will repeat L7 in 2014 with the old L8 requirements or will she be able to uptrain enough and be confident enough to jump to the new L8, which is expected to require a few L9 requirements - supposedly making the move from 8 to 9 easier. Only time will tell. Health, injury, fear and confidence will all play a role as to whether she will make the jump to the new 8.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My dd will be a L7 in 2013 as well. The question is whether dd will repeat L7 in 2014 with the old L8 requirements or will she be able to uptrain enough and be confident enough to jump to the new L8, which is expected to require a few L9 requirements - supposedly making the move from 8 to 9 easier. Only time will tell. Health, injury, fear and confidence will all play a role as to whether she will make the jump to the new 8.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yeah, we're in the same position. I wonder if next year's level 7's will have to score out of the new level 7, and I wonder what the mobility score will be?

Yeah, we're in the same position. I wonder if next year's level 7's will have to score out of the new level 7, and I wonder what the mobility score will be?

I would say that they would need to score out but that shouldn't be too difficult if they have the skills - It's just a matter of switching out skills within the same routine. I would think the mobility would be the same as the others, which I believe is 32 or 33, right? Personally, I wish it was more like 34. I know it's harder to reach but it would ensure that the girls have a good handle on the skills.

It is my understanding that as of now, nothing has been firmly decided other than the addition of a new intermediate level between the current 8 and 9. That being said, gymnasts competing 7 next year, that would be eligible to move on to level 8 for the 2013 season still would- only it would be called level 7. No biggie. I think the parents will have a bigger issue than the gymmies will, especially if they have been "banking" on reaching level 10 by a certain age. Once the gymnasts see that they are still competing with other girls at their own level, the numerical value given to that level wont matter. Just an adjustment, but definitely for the benefit and safety of our kiddos.

It is my understanding that as of now, nothing has been firmly decided other than the addition of a new intermediate level between the current 8 and 9. That being said, gymnasts competing 7 next year, that would be eligible to move on to level 8 for the 2013 season still would- only it would be called level 7. No biggie. I think the parents will have a bigger issue than the gymmies will, especially if they have been "banking" on reaching level 10 by a certain age. Once the gymnasts see that they are still competing with other girls at their own level, the numerical value given to that level wont matter. Just an adjustment, but definitely for the benefit and safety of our kiddos.

I could be totally off base here but I think you will see many gyms bump their 2013 L7 gymnasts to the new L8 in 2014 and forget about the new L7 for that one transition year and then readjust the training for younger gymnasts. For those gyms who do a lot of uptraining anyway, it likely is not going to be a huge leap. My understanding of it is that the new level 7 will not have as many requirements as the old 8 so the new 8 will be a mix of the old 8-9 - including the more difficult 8 with the easier 9. Since I know nothing about 8 and 9, I have no idea what those requirements may be though.

Personally, I would think dd will have to go through the new L7 and not jump to the new L8 because she just skipped a level and while she is not struggling, per se, she will likely need extra time to solidify all the new skills from 7 and 8 before adding L9 skills. But you just never know.

Again, it is really going to depend on what is expected in the new L8. If anyone has ideas they would like to share, we would love to hear them! I am sure their are coaches and experienced gymmies out there who can take a stab at which skills would be perfect to "move down" to the new L8 from L9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back