Parents Questions about 6 year old on L3 team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We actually ruled out a gym that had the team go until 8:30. Our kids have to be at school at 7:40 which means a pre7am wake up time and my daughter already takes an hour and a half to fall asleep at night. I have a five year old training level 3 to compete in the Fall so similar in age, but only in Kindergarten. I left her practice for the first time the other day and she did great! Thankfully in the summer our gym is so close (literally behind our house) that she can walk there on her own even. Good luck and let me know if you want to trade stories!

We actually ruled out a gym that had the team go until 8:30. Our kids have to be at school at 7:40 which means a pre7am wake up time and my daughter already takes an hour and a half to fall asleep at night. I have a five year old training level 3 to compete in the Fall so similar in age, but only in Kindergarten. I left her practice for the first time the other day and she did great! Thankfully in the summer our gym is so close (literally behind our house) that she can walk there on her own even. Good luck and let me know if you want to trade stories!

Yeah, DD is in kinder too but the girls don’t start till 8:30 am and the school is only 1.5 miles away. Plus she’s able to fall asleep quickly at night after workouts since she’s so tired.

I’ll definitely try leaving on Monday. Just saw that our preteam coach will be part of the L3 coaching team and DD has made friends with several of her new teammates so she said she’s good with me leaving now. Plus I’ve learned from the other parents who have had the main L3 coach for a while (for preteam) love her and her coaching style (which is consistent with what I’ve observed).

I wouldn’t even think of leaving our gym. Not only is it just 3 miles away, it’s been a great environment from my experience with and many have moved to this gym because of the coaching and culture.

I found out the reason for the late start time is that the L2 team trains from 3:30-5:30 and is also coached by the L3 coach.

Reactions: sce

Oh and I would love to trade stories!

Almost everyone I know thinks I’m crazy for even entertaining this time commitment for someone so young (sometimes I even think I’m crazy!), but she loves it!

Thankfully, because of this forum, I’m trying to soak up as much information as possible to best pace our family for the road ahead instead of getting super excited, jumping in blindly, then burning out.

Your 5 yo is going to walk to gym by herself?

Your 5 yo is going to walk to gym by herself?
One of my girls walked to ballet by themselves at 6. I could look into the ballet studio windows from my kitchen, it was so close. My kids also walked to school with friends in kindergarten. I’m a free ranger though. I feel confident in my choices, but I know it is not a popular choice.

One of my girls walked to ballet by themselves at 6. I could look into the ballet studio windows from my kitchen, it was so close. My kids also walked to school with friends in kindergarten. I’m a free ranger though. I feel confident in my choices, but I know it is not a popular choice.
I walked 4 blocks to school alone in Kindergarten. For 2 of my 1st grade schools, I walked with siblings.
In second grade, I walked to school with my older brother (except when he had a broken leg - then, I walked all by myself while our stepmom drove him, lol, or when he was sick). It was 8-9 blocks away, crossing 2 state highways (at the lights like a good girl).
This was back in the 70s though ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back