WAG Questions about grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The irony is that she forgot her grips for a meet this year.
To add

This why we have 2 pairs and I make her use them both.

Once they start using them, they get very attached to them. I didn’t want her to get “overly attached” to one pair, heaven forbid it got lost, or broke/tore.

And she got cranky with me after she got all used to the first pair and I insisted break the second in........ but I like these, I don’t want to.........:p.......... yes, exactly why I want you to use the other pair:cool:.......

She now knows she can do bars with different grips...... and that breaking in the second pair was much easier then the time

Her first pair was Velcro but never since- she was adjusting them every three seconds.

Yeah, same for my DD, she was so distracted by playing with the velcro, they also came undone once or twice during warm-ups making DD terrified it would happen during her routine. Had to search far and wide for a size 000 buckle almost all of them in that size are velcro.

My daughter hated the buckles. She said they were hard to fasten, hard to adjust, and dug into the back of her hands. She only used Velcro and still recommends them because of the ease of adjusting them.

(Beginner grips usually refer to the palm grips with no diowel. I’ve never seen “advanced” as a label on grips.)

Wow! Thanks everyone! Great advice in here. Her coach wants double buckle reisport. It sounds like they might be difficult with the buckle but he says that’s what he wants! I’m ordering now! Any advice on breaking them in?

Wow! Thanks everyone! Great advice in here. Her coach wants double buckle reisport. It sounds like they might be difficult with the buckle but he says that’s what he wants! I’m ordering now! Any advice on breaking them in?

Depending on the size of your daughter's hand (palm area) , They could be tough to break in. We were gifted a pair of brand new Reisports, so my daughter tried (unsuccessfully) to keep them as a back up but as she put it, "I can't swing bars in boxing gloves" ....so we gifted them to someone who liked that brand.

My daughters broke their grips in just by using them .

Yep like bookworm says. They get broken in by use.

And our coaches, told the kids to practice taking them on and off at home. They all had the hang of on and off within a week. Bar work might of taken a bit longer.,

Grips are a level 5 (Australian) rite of passage at my daughter’s gym. They specify reisport Velcro dowel grips and check the fit before the girls are allowed to use them.

My daughter hated hers for a good eight months. She said they were horrible and ruined bars. Then her coachgot all exasperated and told her she didn’t have to wear them and she did a few sessions without them then quietly went back to using them, this time with no fuss.

It drives me crazy watching my daughter fuss with her velcro but I asked her coach about it and she said she didn’t mind, and that until girls are a bit older Velcro grips are actually less fuss for a coach because more girls can manage to get the tightness correct etc, all by themselves. She said her next pair can be buckle if she really wants.

The jump to the high bar was the skill that suffered the most because she was scared she wouldn’t be able to catch it because the leather and dowel felt so weird.

My son's been in double buckle Reisports' men's grips for both high bar and rings for years. They are good. She may need to have someone else help her buckle them at first, but she'll figure it out eventually. They are also easier to buckle once they've been used a bit. I still have somewhere some cute pics of my son and his teammates holding out their hands to their coach at L5 meets so he could buckle their grips for them.

To break in bars grips more quickly, if she is able/allowed, she should swing with them on the gym's strap bar or boys' high bar. Both of mine swear by this.

(Beginner grips usually refer to the palm grips with no diowel. I’ve never seen “advanced” as a label on grips.)
I’ve seen only a few companies use “advanced” (mostly online stores) to describe having a dowel AND buckles. You are right about beginner grips having no dowel. My coach also seems to think that Velcro grips are beginner grips because most don’t have a dowel and the younger or lower level girls use them more often. I think that’s where I got it from...

Also, I see that @Gymbugs posted the coach wants Resisport Double Buckle ones. That’s a great brand and style! Many people use a Men’s high bar to break them in. (Or a strap bar if their gym has one)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back