WAG Questions about Level 5 bar and beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
Short Stack had a meet on Saturday. She tied for first on beam with a 9.075. Due to her all-around score (she placed 12th or 13th on all other events. Beam is consistently her strongest event) she placed second. She came to me and said, "OH! if I got my handstand on the end of the beam all the way to vertical, and held it for 2 seconds, like I know I can, I would've been in first all by myself!" She is curious about how big of a hit she took on her score for that.

I, on the other hand, have a question about a particular type of deduction on bars. Short Stack's form is usually fairly decent (tight, legs together, pointed toes, etc), except for the occasional bent elbows on her kip, and getting her cast at or above horizontal only about 50% of the time. But she is SO SLOW!!! She doesn't really "swing". She came to a complete and absolute stop twice during the routine. What kinds of deductions does she incur for the stops, and for being so slow?

Thanks!

Beam...it's up to .3 for not reaching vertical depending how far from vertical she was (more than 45 degrees from vertical would get the full deduction) and up to .2 for not holding 2 sec. Also another.1 if her feet weren't together.

Bars...it really depends on where she came to a stop. It's up to .2 for rhythm but if she stops between her kips and her casts it's rhythm PLUS .3 each time because it's considered taking an extra swing.

Bars...it really depends on where she came to a stop. It's up to .2 for rhythm but if she stops between her kips and her casts it's rhythm PLUS .3 each time because it's considered taking an extra swing.

Sorry to hijack, but is this the same for L4 bars? My dd has a hard time getting to horizontal in her cast after the kip on the high bar. She feels her choices are to either cast straight out of the kip, but not get to horizontal or to pause after the kip and then she can cast to nearly HS. She has been wondering which is a lesser deduction, not getting to horizontal or pausing between the kip and cast, but doesn't want to ask her coach.

L5 is the new old L6 from what I've been seeing over the past couple of years - the scoring is soooo hard - especially on bars. L4 bars from what I've seen is not scored as hard - not saying it's a cakewalk, but it's just not as rough as L5. I've seen pretty decent L5 bar routines w/ no major mistakes get scores in the high 6's/low 7's, and I've seen kids place 1st in the event w/ scores like 8.4 at large meets. They just score really hard in L5 - and people that never actually competed in that level never seem to understand/believe it (it's skipped a lot just like the old L6 was), but it is true. In my area, the state qualification score is 1-2 points lower for L5 than it is for most all other levels.

Sorry to hijack, but is this the same for L4 bars? My dd has a hard time getting to horizontal in her cast after the kip on the high bar. She feels her choices are to either cast straight out of the kip, but not get to horizontal or to pause after the kip and then she can cast to nearly HS. She has been wondering which is a lesser deduction, not getting to horizontal or pausing between the kip and cast, but doesn't want to ask her coach.

She only has to do the minimum to get full credit, which I believe is at horizontal. If she pauses, she can get an extra swing deduction or break in rhythm deduction and there is no bonus for being almost vertical. She just needs to get to horizontal (or is it above horizontal? I don't have my book handy). Not hitting horizontal is not much of a deduction, especially if she's close, but an extra swing is .3, not up to .3, and rhythm and dynamics are .2 each, I think.

Yes it's the same in level 4. It's much better to do a wimpy cast immediately connected to her kip than to stop and then cast. It's a mandatory .3 each time she stops after her kip. It's only up to .3 for not reaching horizontal on the cast. (Above horizontal in level 5)

I agree with what the other ppl are saying here. Bars has been my girl's best event ever since lvl 3. Then level 5 came along...and the fear of the flyaway. The only meet she competed where (she didn't scratch bars) she scored a 8.1. We were told her score was ruined because of the tap swings and dismount.

She was good for 9.5s in lvl 3, 9.3s in lvl 4...then a huge crash in lvl 5.

This is what 8.1 looks like....and many girls on her team didn't even break an 8.0 most of the season. Brutal!

That is brutal! Looks like at least mid 8's to me. Her baby giant was way better than many I've seen and she was over horizontal on clear hip and casts. Weird... Just a parent but I thought looked very nice!

I agree with what the other ppl are saying here. Bars has been my girl's best event ever since lvl 3. Then level 5 came along...and the fear of the flyaway. The only meet she competed where (she didn't scratch bars) she scored a 8.1. We were told her score was ruined because of the tap swings and dismount.

This is what 8.1 looks like....and many girls on her team didn't even break an 8.0 most of the season. Brutal!

Yep - an 8.1 for that routine seems just brutal to me. When she gets to 6/7 her scores will be much higher.

I think everyone in lvl 5 is counting on higher bar scores in lvl 6/7!!! One girl at our gym got a 6.5. Parents were gasping in the stands!

In level five on bars I found that the judges tend to be really picky about angles and requirements, as well as power. I think that good form is a plus, but the more I have focused on angles, etc. the higher my scores have gotten. I started with sevens (partly due to flyaway scratch) and rose up to consistent almost-nines.

Thank you for all your advice.

Van2, I thought that bar routine was awesome!

Just wondering if it helps to hold the handstand longer then 2 seconds in level 5.

I'm no judge, but I'm fairly certain that would be higher than 8.1 around here. I'd kill for that! Good job!

She would score higher but she has a bunch of easy fixable leg splits in her routine. GET YOUR FEET TOGETHER ON YOUR SQUAT ON. :)

Thank you for all your advice.

Van2, I thought that bar routine was awesome!

Just wondering if it helps to hold the handstand longer then 2 seconds in level 5.
I assume you mean the handstand on the beam? There's no handstand in lvl 5 bars. They just require above horizontal.

I'm often lost in the terminology but I understood that to mean holding the vertical (or almost vertical) on the bar routine. (I could be totally wrong about the question)

I'm often lost in the terminology but I understood that to mean holding the vertical (or almost vertical) on the bar routine. (I could be totally wrong about the question)
Gotcha. No worries! The part after the kip is called a "cast" and some girls will cast into handstand, but it is not required on lvl 5 bars. They only require above horizontal. Hope that make sense. I'm learning all kinds of new terminology for lvl 7 now. Yeah, confusing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back