WAG Questions about your gym and team program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I'm always updating our team program...just looking for some stats...please answer as completely as you can...

1. How many girls team coaches do you have? Xcel? JO? Elite?
2. How many girls on team? Xcel? JO? Elite? How about L9/10's?
3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week?
4. Do you have a move up score at your club? What is it?
5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? How many kids are doing gymnastics in college programs? How about L9/10 team success on the state level?
6. Does your club do TOPs?
7. How do you get on team at your club? How selective is it? Is it talent...age...body type selective?
8. Does your club have gymnasts training over 20 hours per week at any level?

1. 8 team coaches all with JO. We do not have elites and we do not compete Xcel.
2. We have 50 JO competitors up to L8, our highest level.
3. We have approximately 50 preschool gymnasts and about 300 recreational gymnasts.
4. No, we do not have a mandatory move up score.
5. We always have state title holders. The last time we had L8s and 9s, they all went to regionals (3 of them) and we have sent one girl to Nationals.
6. We do not do TOPS.
7. Gymnasts are tapped from rec to go into developmental teams. Then developmental teams feed into travel team. Selection is based on skills, with some emphasis on age/weight. We don't tend to have kids who are "old" for their level and none of our team kids carry extra weight. Some of our developmental team kids do have some extra pounds.
8. Our optionals top out at 20 hours, so no one trains over 20.

Reactions: JBS
I'm always updating our team program...just looking for some stats...please answer as completely as you can...

5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? How many kids are doing gymnastics in college programs? How about L9/10 team success on the state level?
7. How do you get on team at your club? How selective is it? Is it talent...age...body type selective?

1.We have only 2 girls team coaches. one for bars/vault, the other for beam and floor.
2. USAG only- L2- 6, L3-12, L4-6, L5-6, L6- 2, L7-4, L8- 2, L10-1 TOTAL- 39 competitive.
3. Rec boys and girls. HUNDREDS...All rec classes are full and have waiting list.
4. They say it is 36, but it is really 1 yr. per level. Unless you are an outlier.
5.Very good compulsory, always top state finishers. They always have eastern regional qualifiers every year. 1 girl got a scholarship last year. We have a L10 (she is 11 YO)
6. We do NOT do TOPS.
7. Very selective. If the kids has talent, they are pulled out of rec and put into pre-team. If they are average, they do time in the progressive system and then can join pre-team at the end. Here is where the older L2s come in. They make it difficult for large, old girls to get on team, but if they can stick it out, then they must be allowed to join.

9 all together for Xcel, JO and High school - no Elite
Xcel has about 5~9, JO has 73, 3 Lvl 9-10 plus about 25 for High School
About 155 (different coaches)
Nope wish we did
The teams often place at meets and so do the girls, We have about 1 girl each year go onto college
No
Through the rec class recommendations. Not selective, they moved 25 girls to level 3 this year and some could not even do a round off.
No, but some of the parents have their girls with over 20 hours with the amount of privates they do a week. :)

I answer even if I'm not from US! We don't have a gym either, we have a gymnastics club

10-12 total

- We have 20 girls in two pre-teams and 50 girls in "normal" competitive stream. Then we have about 20 girls who compete / will compete soon in our national stream

- there's something like 400 total but they DO NOT all practice in the same gym

- yes, for compulsories it is 32 out of 40. but most coaches don't move kids up if they don't hit at least 33.5 AA. the deductions are bigger here because we follow FIG rules

- pretty successful. in the northern part of the country we win a lot and we have had some national team members also. we also have many girls in junior national training program and they also compete internationally

edit: for some reason i'm unable to post the rest of the answers! it only says error

Last edited:
- yeah, the top gymnast train something like 20 hours i think

I'm sorry about posting so many times! It doesn't let me send number 7 answer! how weird is that??

I've already written the answer but when I copy and paste and try to send it it says internal server error? But that only happens with that answer number 7

1. Currently 5
2. This year: Excel=35ish, JO=52, pre-team=15ish, we have (3) 9s and (3) 10s this year, no elites
3. 100s of rec kids
4. No move up score, based on acquiring skills
5. Team is very successful, always numerous state champs every year at varying levels, always qualify gymnasts to regionals, easterns and nationals each year. Our level 9s and 10s almost always go on to college gymnastics when they graduate, some on scholarships.
6. We used to do TOPS until about 4 years ago, and a couple of girls have qualified to TOPS training camp.
7. Pre-team is a developmental step for JO team, but excel is fairly open. If not coming from pre-team, JO is based on assessment.
8. Levels 8-10 only train over 2o hours in the summer, and not by much.

1. How many girls team coaches do you have:9, Xcel: 7, JO:7, Elite: 0, IGC: 7
2. How many girls on team? Xcel: 30, JO: 15, Elite:0, How about L9/10's: 4, IGC: 20
3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week? Hundreds
4. Do you have a move up score at your club? What is it? Yes, 36AA
5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? No idea. The club is clearly focused on IGC, with numerous national and world trophies.
6. Does your club do TOPs? No
7. How do you get on team at your club? Tryout in May or invite at any time by HC.
How selective is it? Don't know.
Is it talent...age...body type selective? They say they are looking for raw talent. After level 9 girls do transfer to other gyms.
8. Does your club have gymnasts training over 20 hours per week at any level? Yes, most. All levels of girls who train JO/IGC combined do at least 24 hrs a week, as well as girls on xcel gold and above.

We have 3 coaches. We only have JO

We have 40 girls on our team. Everyone does JO L3-10 L4- 10, L5- 5, L6 3, L7 12, L8-1, L9- 4, L10 2 Or there about. No elites.

About 400 throughout the week.

We don't have a stated move up score. Moving up is based on each girl and the skills they have when the season starts.
5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to
Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? How many kids are doing gymnastics in college programs? How about L9/10 team success on the state level?

We have one of the more successful gyms in our state. In the past all of our l8-10 would qualify to regionals. Most would continue to Westerns and about half of our l10 would make it to Nationals. We have about 1/2 of our graduating seniors move on to college gymnastics. This has really been increasing in the last couple of years.

No

Move on to team by moving through the rec levels and then coaches recommended by rec coaches. Not too horribly selectives. Based on whether the girls have the skills to do level 3.
From October through January l8-10 train 24 hours but all other times they top out at 20 hours a week.

1. We have around 11 coaches for JO and elite
2. A lot of team girls. There are 60 level 3-5 and a lot of optionals and level 1&2s plus 2 elites no xcel
3. Hundreds of rec kids
4. Just the required score of 32 and if you have all of the skills
5. Pretty successful our teams win first place most of the time with a few exceptions
6. No TOPS
7. Anyone can try out and then they move you where you need to be. They allow any age as long as you are willing to work hard. I'm 17 in level 6 and they let me in and are super nice.
8. I think our elites do more than 20 hours maybe the tens do too

1. How many girls team coaches do you have? Xcel? JO? Elite? 6 coaches, JO only
2. How many girls on team? Xcel? JO? Elite? How about L9/10's? JO only, no elite or xcel. We have 35-40 competing gymnasts plus some non-competing "preteam" L3s. 4 girls in 9/10.
3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week? Lots!
4. Do you have a move up score at your club? What is it? Not that I am aware of.
5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? How many kids are doing gymnastics in college programs? How about L9/10 team success on the state level? I believe all our L10s from last year are currently doing college gymnastics. No clue about how successful we are, I do know that some girls have qualified for nationals in the past few years but I didn't know the team until this year so I couldn't tell you the exact number. Not all of them, for sure, but some.
6. Does your club do TOPs? Yes. We usually have at least one girl on the diamond team list and most years someone qualifies for the camps.
7. How do you get on team at your club? How selective is it? Is it talent...age...body type selective? It's fairly selective, but not super exclusive. Skill ba

1. How many girls team coaches do you have? I think there are probably 6-8 team coaches and 4-5 Xcel coaches
2. How many girls on team? Roughly 50 Xcel? 50 JO? 1 level 9 girl
3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week? Last I heard we had close to 450. We are a huge rec gym
4. Do you have a move up score at your club? No required move up score
5. How successful is your team? We typically place and have some that sprinkle in golds, but we're more known as the "fun gym". How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? Last year was our first time having a level 8 and she qualified.
6. Does your club do TOPs? We don't do it
7. How do you get on team at your club? I think it's a combination of things from what the head coach and wife has told me before. Natural talent, willingness to learn, parent attitude
8. Does your club have gymnasts training over 20 hours per week at any level? No, 20 hours is currently the max

1. How many girls team coaches do you have? We have up to 6 team coaches that travel to meets. We also have a few more that help as needed with team and at the home meet.
2. How many girls on team? Xcel? 9 (7 gold and 2 platinum) JO? 39 (18 L3, 15 L4, 4 L6, and 2 L7)
3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week? roughly 100-150, varies by month
4. Do you have a move up score at your club? What is it? Sort of... L3, they MUST have scored at least a 33.0 to be considered. If they score multiple 36s, they HAVE to move up the next season. L4, they must have scored a 32.0 to be considered. IF they score multiple 9s on 3/4 events and 34.5 multiple times, they HAVE to move up. L5, we do not have right now, but a 31.0 multiple times in a season and they will move to L6... a 35.0 multiple times OR multiple 9s in 3/4 events and they will move to L7. L6, 33.0 multiple times to be considered for L7. Multiple 36.0 and they HAVE to move up. L7, considered for move up with multiple 33.0. Required move up for 36.0 OR multiple 9s in 3/4 events. L8, we don't have, but a 32.0 multiple times makes it an option. 36.0 multiple times or 9s on 3/4 events multiple times would be REQUIRED to move to L9. Nobody would ever be forced to move up from L9 to L10.
In Xcel Gold, to move up to Platinum, optional with multiple 34s. With multiple 36s OR multiple 9s in 3/4 events, it is REQUIRED. If a girl is competing Platinum and she scores multiple 34s, the coach is willing to petition her back into JO L7. There is no score leading to the REQUIREMENT to move back since one of the girls is there due to a terrible fear of back tumbling (so bad that she is just getting her back handspring connected to her round off again).
5. How successful is your team? Our Xcel Gold team usually takes 1st place in meets. Our L4 have also taken 1st place. All other levels are usually 2nd or 3rd place teams. Every year, we have multiple gymnasts place at YMCA Nationals... 3 age groups in each level and they place 1/3 of each age group... and sometimes, our "best" gymnasts forego attending Nationals.
6. Does your club do TOPs? No we don't.
7. How do you get on team at your club? To get on team, you have to make it through the 3rd level of rec classes and have the required skills. You also have to want to be on the team. How selective is it? Since the team has grown so large, it is more selective than it used to be. We are limited to 20 gymnasts per level at the maximum, so the number moved onto team depends on the number that we can get moved out of L3... which depends on skills and the number we can move out of L4... since we don't have any L5, that will help, but we only have 5 (max) ready to move up to L5. We have 3 more that we could move into Xcel Gold, so we could
Is it talent...age...body type selective? It is based on talent and drive and coachability.
8. Does your club have gymnasts training over 20 hours per week at any level? No. All levels practice 7.5 hours a week, if they come all 3 days and stay the full time.

24 hours a week for Xcel Gold? Wow. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

They don't have platinum or diamond xcel, so if I understand it correctly, they train the golds with the intent to move them over to one of the other programs after a year... At least that's what it seems to be. They have only done xcel for a couple of years, so I think they are finding their way still.

Our X-cel program has one overseeing coach (sort of like a head coach for X-cel) and an assistant coach. I believe they had an additional coach last year (2012-2013) but the program was bigger then and I believe that our gym is downsizing (and possibly phasing out) X-cel. There are L4, L5, L7/L8, and L9 coordinating coaches plus our Head coach who serves as the coordinating coach for L10. Additional assistant coaches are added to the groups depending on size. The gym also employs full time employees who work with the developmental, pre-school, and adaptive programs.

I believe our X-cel team was down to 10 this year. In the past (especially when it was called Prep-Opt) X-cel was an option for girls who needed an individualized optional program as a good transition between old L6 and optionals. This year it seemed that our HC either does a training year for girls who aren't ready for L7 or has them compete at L6. This is the first year for the new levels so I wouldn't be completely surprised if he decided on something different for 2014-2015 and he may go back to sending girls through X-cel segue again if he isn't happy with how this year went. With JO we only compete L4-L10 and I think we started the 2013-2014 year with 68 competing JO gymnasts. Our gym does not train elite. The current L9/L10 group has a baker's dozen.

I truly have no idea. We do not have a rec program. We do have a preschool program which children can't move out of until they have celebrated their fifth birthday. The pre-school program has their own gym which is very kid friendly. They sometimes share this gym with the adaptive program.

There is not a set in stone move up score. In general I think the coaches like to see mastery and no specific strength and form deficits that need remediation. Ultimately they like to see gymnasts who are able to hit at least 8 or above on all events at the beginning of the competition season. With the optionals they have more flexibility and I've seen some carefully choreographed routines designed for a girl who doesn't really have quite L10 skills on all events but has solid skills on at least two events and wants the opportunity to compete L10.

We have a relatively small L9/L10 group but send a few girls each years to semi-nationals and nationals. We also send a few girls into college gymnastics programs each year (in the time we have been at this gym all of the L10s who have graduated have gone on to compete in college). Our L9 and L10 teams are very competitive at the state level.

It is my impression that our girls do a lot of the TOPs conditioning as part of their conditioning but the coaches are not currently advocating for TOPs testing. I may be a bit out of the loop on all of the nuances of this because my older gymnastic child is an L10 and beyond the TOPs realm and my younger quasi gymnastic child is still playing in the preschool gym.

Girls can try out for team from the developmental program. To try out they do the glide kip-cast-squat on/jump-long hang kip sequence on bars, a front handspring vault over the table, roundoff backhandspring backhandspring on floor and the cartwheel on beam. I don't think these skills need to be competition ready but they have to be there. They also need to be seven or turning seven prior to the first meet so they are age eligible. There is an organized tryout in the spring every year so they can train with the team all summer. I believe they can sometimes arrange their own try out if the developmental coaches feel they are ready. Again, I'm sure I'm missing nuances because our older daughter came to this gym after she had competed through L7 elsewhere and I suspect swimming will win out for our younger daughter before she turns seven.

**After posting I realize I missed the rest of your question. I suppose in some ways it is selective because since we don't compete before L4 there are lots of girls that compete at L2 or L3 and then stop because they never get the kip. Those girls would never make team at our gym I suppose so you could argue it was selective. But I think selection is fair. If you have a kip and a cartwheel and a vault it doesn't matter what you look like, who you know, or how old you are if you want to compete L4 they will be happy to have you. **

L9/L10 standard hours are 20-24/week. There is some flexibility with this and I think the HC has gotten quite good at developing individual programs that work for individual gymnasts. Our L10 daughter has never exceeded 18 hours and he has managed to make that (and often 12 hours/week and never more than 15 hours/week work when she did L9) work for her. She had legitimate and necessary reasons for this (and if he couldn't have worked with this we probably would have had to help her leave the sport) but I think it has helped him to do some reframing and I believe that there has been some across the board hours reductions for the team as a whole. It must be working because our HC doesn't stick with plans which don't.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back