WAG Questions for anyone who has been to Karolyi's summer camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Hi all,
I'm not looking for "advice" about the camp, as our gym is going as a group, and DD is registered.
I've got the "I've never been there before" questions.

a) did you pack a leo for every day?
b) did you pack a lot of fun clothes? did you need them all?
c) we were told they have "souvenirs" like leos and t-shirts... DD is heckbent on getting a Karolyi's leo - any idea what price range we're talking?
d) did your phone work for texting?
e) did you have bottled water each day, or can bottles easily be filled by water fountain? and does the tap water taste decent?

Thanks so much!
Signed,
The Crazy OverPlanner Mom

Hi all,
I'm not looking for "advice" about the camp, as our gym is going as a group, and DD is registered.
I've got the "I've never been there before" questions.

a) did you pack a leo for every day?
b) did you pack a lot of fun clothes? did you need them all?
c) we were told they have "souvenirs" like leos and t-shirts... DD is heckbent on getting a Karolyi's leo - any idea what price range we're talking?
d) did your phone work for texting?
e) did you have bottled water each day, or can bottles easily be filled by water fountain? and does the tap water taste decent?

Thanks so much!
Signed,
The Crazy OverPlanner Mom
I can't answer as my daughter's never been there but the only suggestion I have is that I'd def send my daughter with a leo for each day and maybe a few extra!! Otherwise she'll be handwashing if she needs them. If they do two workouts she may want to change into a clean one. Just a thought. Alternatively, you could have her handwash them and hope for the best!!

DD had been twice. Leo for everyday and extras. Pack snacks for her cabin. Shorts snd t - shirts for evening activities. Tennis shoes (my daughterstepped in a fire ant hill and gotbit by them wearing tennis shoes might have helped as she was wearing sandels). We gave my dd $100 spending money and she got a Leo each year. Her phone did not workbut some of her friends did very spotty in reception.

DD had been twice. Leo for everyday and extras. Pack snacks for her cabin. Shorts snd t - shirts for evening activities. Tennis shoes (my daughterstepped in a fire ant hill and gotbit by them wearing tennis shoes might have helped as she was wearing sandels). We gave my dd $100 spending money and she got a Leo each year. Her phone did not workbut some of her friends did very spotty in reception.

Did her leos say Karolyi's on them? (thanks for the $$$ info)

We've spent a year with only 2 leos that she likes, so I've been on a mission to try and get her 6 she will wear. Ebay has been my friend, but this hasn't been easy. I think I will definitely try to send her with an extra or two. (hmmm, and maybe some woolite to wash in the sink, JUST IN CASE.)

Thank you both for your help!

if she just rinses them in clean fresh water that should be enough to get the sweat out, no need for detergent

Yes they both say karoylis on them. She also got a pair of workout shorts with it on them. That amount of money was more then enough. Also might send her with a plain white shirtand some fabric markers cause they will have a night that they sign autographs and my dd also had friends she made and her cabin counselor and coaches sign it.

The packing probably depends on your daughter's age. Mine is on the younger side and has never used all the fun/night clothes I pack. She basically lives in a leo at the camp. She will wear the same leo for more than one day, even though she has other clean choices. Phone use is very limited. It doesn't work everywhere, and the campers have limited time to send messages.

I've never had any cell phone reception at Karolyi's (I have Tmobile)...friends with Verizon had it sometimes

Yes they both say karoylis on them. She also got a pair of workout shorts with it on them. That amount of money was more then enough. Also might send her with a plain white shirtand some fabric markers cause they will have a night that they sign autographs and my dd also had friends she made and her cabin counselor and coaches sign it.

You mention "cabin counselor" - do they have a camp couselor stay in the cabin with them, or is it just the girls?
We will have a coach there, but have been told that she will be in her own place, not with the girls, and I haven't yet asked if they'd have a counselor with them. I think I just assumed it would just be the girls, didn't consider a counselor in there.

Thank you for any info!

Yes a teenage or young adult girl stays in the cabin with them to help keep them on track and on schedule with lights out and showers and meals and stuff. My dd went on her own but I would assume that coaches stay in the nice cabins.

My 10yo is going this year! She is SO excited! She is staying for 2 weeks and I'm sending 20 leos, just in case. She will probably wear 10 of them, and rewear her favorite ones, instead of putting a clean on one. yak!

I am assuming refillable water bottles are OK.

I am not packing "fun" clothes. I am packing gym shorts and tank tops b/c it will be even too hot to be comfortable in things like blue jean shorts.

I am trying to start a group on FB, for exactly this conversation, and as a way for my DD to meet other girls that are going, and keep in touch after, etc. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/464129877055564/

My DD is going solo, no teammates.

My 10yo is going this year! She is SO excited! She is staying for 2 weeks and I'm sending 20 leos, just in case. She will probably wear 10 of them, and rewear her favorite ones, instead of putting a clean on one. yak!

I am assuming refillable water bottles are OK.

I am not packing "fun" clothes. I am packing gym shorts and tank tops b/c it will be even too hot to be comfortable in things like blue jean shorts.

I am trying to start a group on FB, for exactly this conversation, and as a way for my DD to meet other girls that are going, and keep in touch after, etc. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/464129877055564/

My DD is going solo, no teammates.

I'm going to check that out (the FB group)

What weeks is your daughter going?

For just one week of July 7-19! She's a level 4. What level is your daughter? Mine has never been before to Karoyli's Camp but she is SUPER EXCITED!! She won't be staying every night, this first time... Maybe next year. But I am excited too!! That idea about taking a white shirt for autographs is great! Thanks for sharing!! Anyone know how ATT works out there? ( texts?) She was going to be the only one going that week from her gym, but another 2 ended up changing their weeks to go the same week as mine. Can't wait!!!!!

Anyone know how ATT works out there? ( texts?)

It doesn't! DD went to TOPs camp out there with our Verizon phone plan. Coaches had AT&T. They had to use her phone to make calls. They did have the ability to connect to wifi while in the gym, but I doubt your DD will have time to do that while she's getting ready for workout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back