WAG Questions for parents of level 8-10 gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
So, this probably varies from gym to gym but how common is it to do multiple years of these levels. My ODD went from level 5 then tested out of 7, competed 8, then this year 9. She did very well and got 2nd AA at easterns. But at our gym its very common to compete 2 plus years of level 8 and 9 so Im just trying to know how likely it is that she will go level 10 next year.

At our gym it seems almost everyone does 2 years at L9. But not everyone. Your daughter got 2nd so maybe she won't but I would guess it comes down to her skills. Was she a basic level 9 or were her skills 10 skills? My daughter didn't even make Easterns because she fell on one of her harder skills but many of her teammates did. They, however were doing 2 backhandsprings on beam (instead of the back handspring layout step out), no blind change on bars, basic tumbling. I think she stands more of a chance to go to 10 than they do because of her skills. So how they score plays less a part than their skill level for going to 10. If that makes any sense.

It depends on the start values for level 10. My daughter had 10.0 start values for level 10 on everything after her first season of level 9 so she moved up. If you are close then it might be worth it but missing a whole skill can really kill the start value.

My DD is slated to do 10 after a year of nine, however that is based on her having her SV. She competed pretty packed level 9 routines, and had a very successful season and ended quite well at eastern. That said, I don't ever count chickens until they are hatched. It is typical for most girls to do 2 years at 9, so I would not be unhappy in the least if she followed that track. I have always felt that DD's gym path is hers and hers alone- so whatever she needs in terms of repeating will be up to her and her coaches. :) I trust them- and they know her very well- both in personality and skills/ how she progresses. My personal feeling as a parent is that I would prefer for my child to have a second year at level 9 where she was OVER prepared versus a weak/ unprepared year of level 10.

Most girls in our gym will do at least one year at each level and it's not uncommon for girls to repeat levels (especially levels 8 and 9). The move to level 10 is really based on their skills and start values.

Reactions: sce
If it's common in your gym to do a couple of years of each of level 8 and level 9, but your daughter only did one year of 8, it sounds like they are aggressive with her already, and I'm guessing if her skills are "up to level" for level 10 skills, she may just do the one year of level 9. I'd guess, too, it might depend if she were older, they might want to get her to level 10 and do multiple years of 10 rather than 9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back