WAG Questions from watching elite gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
1. Is it a deduction when, on bars, they move a hand/both hands over (after a pirouette, to get centered, or before a dismount so their hands are closer together)?

2. Why does the coach stand there for release moves on bars? Is it mentally helpful for the gymnast, for safety, or both? They generally don't catch them when they miss the bar, and the gymnasts know how to fall safely. Are they there just in case they are falling badly? Is it even possible to have a fast enough reaction time to save them?

3. Why are the gymnasts always JUST getting their grips on when they salute to go on bars? Are they that rushed or do they just wait until they're about to start? It would make me crazy nervous if I were about to go up and didn't have my grips on yet.

Just wondering :)

1. yes I think it is 0.1
2. safety. The coach can see a move going wrong very early and can move into position if needed. They aren't trying to catch them necessarily but to adjust the way they fall. So prevent them hitting the low bar or falling on their head or neck. The gymnasts are used to the flat falls they often do if they miss a Tkatchev. The coaches standing in on bars came about after a really nasty fall Jennifer Sey had in 1985 breaking her femur.
3. nerves probably or the way they like to prepare. It does look odd sometimes. Sometimes they are in a rush.
4. yes from averaging

Thank you!

Now another for anyone out there… On balance beam some of the girls do a sissone or split jump starting with their bad foot in front (for example, R leg split jump, land with left foot going in front, R leg sissone). Why? Is there any benefit of doing this rather than landing with good foot in front?

It sounds to me like you are referring to a switch leap, in which the leg that is initially in front ends up being in back at the apex of the leap.

No, not a switch leap. A sissone and split jump. Like in the video below, at around 30 seconds:

I don't know, maybe it doesn't matter since it's just a little thing, but I'm curious.

She ends up in her "good side" split at the apex of these jumps. The starting position with the opposite foot has a lot of advantages..... and I wouldn't really call the first jump a scissone, but who cares when a kid can do a triple wolf turn.

The opposing foot position at the start of the jump can be helpful in keeping your hips square, provide a bit of momentum for splitting, and provide a familiar feel that resembles the sensation of a split leap during the beginning of the jump.

She ends up in her "good side" split at the apex of these jumps. The starting position with the opposite foot has a lot of advantages..... and I wouldn't really call the first jump a scissone, but who cares when a kid can do a triple wolf turn.

The opposing foot position at the start of the jump can be helpful in keeping your hips square, provide a bit of momentum for splitting, and provide a familiar feel that resembles the sensation of a split leap during the beginning of the jump.

Spotting release moves..... because you never know when it'll be needed, and a good coach can tell if the kid is heading for a disaster, or an ordinary case of mat burn.

1. Is it a deduction when, on bars, they move a hand/both hands over (after a pirouette, to get centered, or before a dismount so their hands are closer together)?

2. Why does the coach stand there for release moves on bars? Is it mentally helpful for the gymnast, for safety, or both? They generally don't catch them when they miss the bar, and the gymnasts know how to fall safely. Are they there just in case they are falling badly? Is it even possible to have a fast enough reaction time to save them?

3. Why are the gymnasts always JUST getting their grips on when they salute to go on bars? Are they that rushed or do they just wait until they're about to start? It would make me crazy nervous if I were about to go up and didn't have my grips on yet.

Just wondering :)

1. no

2. safety...just in case. and sometimes their mishap is faster than the coach can react.

3. it's the format with the podium.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know!

1. no

2. safety...just in case. and sometimes their mishap is faster than the coach can react.

3. it's the format with the podium.

I was wondering about #1 after watching Yao Jinnan on her high bar pirouettes. It looked funny to see her keep scooting over, but I couldn't imagine her coaches would have her do that if it was a deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back