WAG Quick Xcel question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
So, we may be venturing into xcel this season instead of doing L5. Anyone know if a BHS on beam is a requirement for Platinum? (I tried to search as I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything.) I didn't think it was, but dd is insistent.

No, you need beam flight (so round-off would count, or BHS) OR a connection, such as two connected BWOs. I have heard of gymnasts connecting CWs but I have never actually seen that.
That said, some gyms have requirements that are above and beyond code. For example, my DD's old gym required a BHS as a level 6, even though other things would have qualified. That is actually exactly why we moved to Xcel instead (more flexibility!)

Good luck.

Reactions: sce
No, you need beam flight (so round-off would count, or BHS) OR a connection, such as two connected BWOs. I have heard of gymnasts connecting CWs but I have never actually seen that.
That said, some gyms have requirements that are above and beyond code. For example, my DD's old gym required a BHS as a level 6, even though other things would have qualified. That is actually exactly why we moved to Xcel instead (more flexibility!)

Good luck.

Got it. Perhaps the BHS is a gym requirement then. I think she'll get it, but it's nice to know it's not a level requirement and there are other options.

Good luck.
Most of our Platinums do the CW-CW connection. IF they can, we try to have them do a cartwheel-Dive cartwheel, that way, even if they don't get the connection credit, they have it covered with the flight.
My FAV connection though is a CW-BWO ... which I have only seen once. It was pretty.
YG is working a Roundoff because, while she is now able to land a cartwheel sometimes, she cant swing the second leg thru to do the second cartwheel.

Most of our Platinums do the CW-CW connection. IF they can, we try to have them do a cartwheel-Dive cartwheel, that way, even if they don't get the connection credit, they have it covered with the flight.
My FAV connection though is a CW-BWO ... which I have only seen once. It was pretty.
YG is working a Roundoff because, while she is now able to land a cartwheel sometimes, she cant swing the second leg thru to do the second cartwheel.

I will have to watch for the CW-CW and the CW-BWO this season! Is a dive cartwheel considered flight? I haven't seen that one yet either, but that is a good additional option.
Honestly, my DD said a CW-CW is harder than a BWO-BWO because of exactly what you said. Our coaches are also pushing platinum girls to RO or BHS on beam because some judges get very picky with connections and you can lose points easier.

Last year most of our platinums did either RO or BHS with a few who had blocks doing CW/CW. My DD did RO (BHS block). Her coaches wanted them doing the flight if they could, my DD would have preferred to do CW/CW because she does that really well (it is a CW and then swing back to do a CW in the opposite direction, so they end back where they started if that makes sense).

I will have to watch for the CW-CW and the CW-BWO this season! Is a dive cartwheel considered flight? I haven't seen that one yet either, but that is a good additional option.
Honestly, my DD said a CW-CW is harder than a BWO-BWO because of exactly what you said. Our coaches are also pushing platinum girls to RO or BHS on beam because some judges get very picky with connections and you can lose points easier.
A dive cartwheel is flight.
Judges are tough on the CW-CW connection (OG actually did it in Gold and sometimes lost credit). If they move even a toe on the plant foot or dont swing through directly to the next one (or a balance check between) breaks the connection.

My platinums this upcoming season are doing either CW+CW or a BHS. I have one gymnast doing HS+BWO and another doing a BWO, switching her legs in the middle of it, to a CW.

We are mostly all using the split jump or leap for our B.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back