WAG Quick Yes or No Question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Justmehere

Gymnast
If a person lives in one state but trains in another, like they live near the state border. What States would they have to go to, the state that they live in or the states that that they train in? Ok so it isn't quite a yes or no question but close enough.

It was a long time ago, but I had kids from just accross the border that competed at the gym locale's state meet rather than their state of residence. I'll see if I can find anything that defines the situation, but I doubt that USAG would complicate participation with a rule requiring residence in the state to participate in a state meet.

Just looked it up at USAG's website. In the women's program rules and policies, chapter 2, section 5, article 2, paragraph d the policy covers gymnast from outside the usa that train here, and allows them to compete in all Sanctioned USAG events they Qualify for, assumed just like any other kid, provided they have USAG membership card in hand.

So geez Susie, it looks like you can show off your newly learned kip at today's state meet, even if you live 1 mile outside our state's border's.......as long, I presume, you're not going to compete in two different State's championships.

From USAG's Rules & Policies:

"III. Athlete Residency/Club’s State Championships Determination

A. The physical location of the gymnast’s training facility determines the residency of the gymnast.
B. If the gymnast resides in one state and her training facility is located in another neighboring state, the following regulations exist:
1. A gymnast may compete in the State Championships based upon:
a. The state in which her training facility is physically located, OR
b. The state in which she actually resides.

2. The gymnast may NOT compete in both State Championships.

3. The gymnast must compete in the proper Regional meet, based upon the State Meet in which she competed.
C. A club MUST compete in the State Championship(s) of the state in which the training facility is physically located."

I assumed that it was what everyone said - you compete for your gym, so you compete in the state that your gym is located in. good to see that the rules make sense. :)

When I was growing up we had to drive 45 miles to get to swim team - it was in a different state and time zone. I always did states for that state, not where i lived.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back