WAG Range and Conditioning like in the UK too extreme?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dear all, I would need your opinion.

I am in a new acrobatics club (not competitive), but coach is very strict and former Cirque artist with amazing skills.
Girls are age 7-14, train 3x2h, mostly floor acrobatics (simple handsprings, cartwheels, tucks) and do shows at school end.

Coach wants them to learn a "Range and Conditioning" routine similar to the ones they test in the UK:
left split - slide to left needle hold - press to left split handstand - fall to left legged bridge - change leg - back to right split handstand - right split needle - slide to right leg split - middle split - straddle press handstand - straddle L - middle split

Some girls do it beautifully and I really really love to look at it! However, they really have the technique and not the strength. Their straddle press is beautiful, but they won't be able to do more than one, but the one looks geat.

What kind of concerns me is that they don't do other strength or flexibility stuff but ONLY this. It takes about 45 minutes, then they do basic acro stuff, some games or trampolining.
I only joined recently and all of them can do it (some better and more controlled, others are still learning) but I am amazed they can all do it with such "little" training only three times a week, ecpecially the straddle press and the wrong leg kickover!

I asked coach about it, why he does it everytime and why not other strength or flexibility things, mixing things up etc.
This was his answer (in other words kind of):
This routine combines everything we need for basic floor acrobatics - active flexibility in both middle and front splits, core and back strength, shoulder flexibility without straining the back and shoulder strength to press up but also the controlled tick-tock.

I am still not sure what to think about it, but I also see that with this limited time, he won't get the kids to do a lot of presses or leg lifts anyways, they all go to normal school, so maybe technique and flexibility is better?

If you are interested, this is a very extreme example of the range and conditioning they do in the UK!

Any opinion on this appreciated

our club does both acro and artistic (in the UK).

The R&C is purely for artistic, and all our competitive gymnasts do one form of R&C (there are seveal depending on which Grades you choose).

The acro's train differently, lots of block work for the tops and weights for the bases. The tops do much more range work and are required to have much fuller flexibility, including lots of manual stretching. The bases its all about building strength to be able to safely lift the tops, but a little range and flex (splits etc).

our club does both acro and artistic (in the UK).

The R&C is purely for artistic, and all our competitive gymnasts do one form of R&C (there are seveal depending on which Grades you choose).

The acro's train differently, lots of block work for the tops and weights for the bases. The tops do much more range work and are required to have much fuller flexibility, including lots of manual stretching. The bases its all about building strength to be able to safely lift the tops, but a little range and flex (splits etc).

Thanks! Hm, but they are on the competitive path, aren't they? I am just wondering if it is bad to do nothing else but this as your conditioning and flexibility part beside a little bit of tumbling. Although it definitely is impressive and Insee all the components that must work together and be balanced (right kind of strength, balance, flexibility and technique)...

depends if you are a base or a top.

The tops do a lot of block work, press handstands ( 20-30) crocks, one armed balances, mex's plus dismounts in a rig. Its a very demanding sport and very dependant on body type. Basically if you are not very short and light you are not going to be a top as its hurts the bases to throw and catch you.

depends if you are a base or a top.

The tops do a lot of block work, press handstands ( 20-30) crocks, one armed balances, mex's plus dismounts in a rig. Its a very demanding sport and very dependant on body type. Basically if you are not very short and light you are not going to be a top as its hurts the bases to throw and catch you.

Ok, I see...I always find it so sad that the time on "top" is so limited!
But although the class says "acro for kids" it is not like acrobatic gymnastics but more like a rec class or circus class, but not like contortion and only floor acrobatics without events or partners, no one trains to be the top or bottom. They all do the same range and conditioning routine as a physical prep and the same in class as well.
And because I simply have no idea, I wanted to know whether it was a good or bad idea to let the kids that.

To get a better insight here is what they do most of the time (so 3-4 times a week):

Warm Up 10mins: coordinations games, basic warm ups and dynamic fle
Range and conditioning 45 minutes:
10 kickovers on each side, 10 tick tocks on each side, 10 slow full split tick tocks each side, 10 standing straddle presses, 10 straddle presses on parallettes, 10 straddle presses on floor, 10 times the complete range and conditioning routine
For the second hour they do basic flips, sometimes games, sometimes they work on shows...

It is just so different from my previous gym experience. We used to do tons of presses and leg lifts with weights, mixing up stuff more.
Even the rec class kids who only trained 2-3times a week had stronger presses (could do more in a row) but their form was not as pretty and they were far from a controlled tick-tock in full split...

What I am trying to say is: If the kids train 3x2 hrs they could make the girls do really hard conditioning for the first hour. Spotted straddle presses in a row, straddle presses with weights, leg lifts, handstand walks all for max strength. It would make them much stronger overall and in presses and handstands. But they focus more on technique, flexibility and the full skill in training without much else and I don't know if this is "enough" or the right" impact on the muscles of 14 year olds even if they don't really aim for other skills.

If the goal is just to have fun then I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. Without clear cut goals, the coach is working strength and flexibility in a safe manner. I don't see what the problem is. If you want more of a strength workout do more at home or find another class.

So you would like to sacrifice technique for strength? I think it sounds like they are doing just fine. You just joined. Step back, watch, learn and be open to a different way of doing things. Like already said, this is not a competition class, there is no right or wrong. The answer the coach gave showed he has thought about this a lot. Respect that.

Also, if I read your description they are doing more than 30 press handstands during a rec class. That sounds like a lot of strength. My rec gymnast can't come close to doing one.

^^^^^ this. I can think of 1, maybe 2 of my rec gymnasts that can manage a single rather untidy press. To be able to 30, even in different variations is amazing for a Rec class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back