WAG Reaching Down in Landings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
I'm posting this for my DD's coach. I'll show her the replies, She's 11 yrs old, competing her 2nd year of Level 8. She competed a yurchenko timer last year, and her first meet this year did another timer. Her problem, she cannot stop reaching for the ground in her landings when she flips, and her coach has tried everything she can to correct it.
According to her coach, she is PLENTY high, does them gorgeous into the pit, was landing them nicely on a mat in the pit, then when they moved them to the table she started reaching for the ground every time. She's now back to the pit for safety and is reaching for the ground on the mat there now too.

She's tried spotting her, working double backs on the tumble trak for air awareness (still reaches down), over rotating to her back and bringing her arms up not even trying to land, back tuck off the vault to a stick.....She knows she can do this vault, she's ready, but can't stop folding on the landing and reaching for the floor. Any suggestions??? I'll post a video from my phone in the next few minutes if that helps....

Does she have problems with her knees? Or has she had a some kind of lower body injury?

One of my gymnast does that. She does it because of her knees. She had knee surgery of both knees when she was younger and even if they don't really bother her anymore, she still doesn't fully trust them. So she feels like she has to bend her hips and reach the ground when landing. She's ok with landings that are rebounding, like back handsprings and front handsprings, and easy low force landings like straight jumps, but everything else pretty much causes this problem.

Does she have problems with her knees? Or has she had a some kind of lower body injury?

One of my gymnast does that. She does it because of her knees. She had knee surgery of both knees when she was younger and even if they don't really bother her anymore, she still doesn't fully trust them. So she feels like she has to bend her hips and reach the ground when landing. She's ok with landings that are rebounding, like back handsprings and front handsprings, and easy low force landings like straight jumps, but everything else pretty much causes this problem.

Nope. She just reaches for the ground. Her coach thinks part of it is shes not sure where she is. Generally her air awareness is great. She does a 1.5 to a punch front, great trampoline skills, but I think she was closing her eyes at one point which probably didn't help.

So you know when someone posts here about a fear, and the next day their kid gets the skill? I guess it also works for issues. :) Just when her coach was about to pull her hair out and say I've tried everything....she put the T-Trainer on some blocks and had her vault onto a mat in the pit. It clicked again, and no more reaching down. She did about 20 I hear to a nice landing position. Hopefully it sticks when she moves back to the table. This vault has taken so long for her to get, and she's getting frustrated. She made it to regionals last year competing a timer, but it would be a lot easier to have a 10.0 starting vault!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back