WAG Reaction to Strapping Tape? Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast03

Gymnast
I'm a level 7 gymnast and I have been doing gymnastics for 10 years. I have some problems with my back where the muscles are extremely tight which causes my vertebrae to 'hinge'. It is currently being manged quite well with physio and taping. The way I have to tape is using 'Kinesiology' tape which a type of fabric strapping tape that is stretchy. I put two pieces on my back either side of my spine, it seems to help with the pain. But my only problem is that my back reacts to the tape, if i wear it for longer than a day or wear it to often the skin where the tape is will get red, inflamed and itchy. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what to do?

Thanks any help will be appreciated :)

I have that with the 'sensitive skin bandaids' it's extremely annoying. Have you talked about it whit your pt? They might be able to recommend something

I am allergic to adhesives. I use benedryl cream when I remove tape... But you should have someone (professional) see if that is your problem.

You could be allergic to the adhesive in it. I'd talk to your doctor, to make sure it's still safe to use. You might try putting tape on right before and taking it off right after workout, as well as removing the tape residual with a rubbing alcohol wipe. You might also try a different brand of tape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back